thoughts on this muffler

I've seen these at Summit, thought about using one of these in the mid pipe of my C6 and no rear mufflers.... too big, doesn't fit the tunnel.... and $135 for a muffler that is not stainless is a little pricey.

On a C3 this muffler would be perfect for a custom center exit exhaust :idea:

Last edited:
I read an article here recently about performance exhaust systems,and it showed some dyno runs between the H-pipe and the X-pipe, the X showed to produce more HP and TQ especially from the mid range and up. But the article also said that you should have either the X or H as close to the collector as possible to get the best scavenging effect, so i wonder how efficient this muffler would work for scavenging if it is placed at the back of the car???

It also talked about Dr Gas and found their design to be one of the best, but they are over a $100 for an X-pipe.

I read an article here recently about performance exhaust systems,and it showed some dyno runs between the H-pipe and the X-pipe, the X showed to produce more HP and TQ especially from the mid range and up. But the article also said that you should have either the X or H as close to the collector as possible to get the best scavenging effect, so i wonder how efficient this muffler would work for scavenging if it is placed at the back of the car???

It also talked about Dr Gas and found their design to be one of the best, but they are over a $100 for an X-pipe.

That's just the whole thing with this HX pipe thing, on my shark, where in hell I going to put the pipe to make it just off the collectors??? under the oil pan??

easy do in a truck, but in a vette, I dunno...maybe the new ones...I have a H pipe just after the tailshaft, about as far forward as can be done....

propable does nothing either, maybe alter the sound a bit....

i don't think room would be a problem for me. i was thinking of mounting it where the original cat was. that thing was the size of a briefcase, so i have to think this would fit. of course that leaves me either just running straight pipe out the back, which would look a little goofy, or another set of mufflers. if i do that, i might as well just use an 'x' pipe and hang conventional mufflers in the back.

i don't think room would be a problem for me. i was thinking of mounting it where the original cat was. that thing was the size of a briefcase, so i have to think this would fit. of course that leaves me either just running straight pipe out the back, which would look a little goofy, or another set of mufflers. if i do that, i might as well just use an 'x' pipe and hang conventional mufflers in the back.

If you install the spare tire tub the straight pipes are not all that noticeable but if you install this X-muffler where the cat used to be it won't be easy to run the pipes (two in, two out).

Look at Summit's website, they sell Magnaflow stainless bullets in 5" and 6" diameter for like $70-$80 a pop - these are nice mufflers but the 4" version is a lil loud... :tomato:

Does anyone offer a X-pipe for my Hooker sidepipes ??

:D:D:D

Yes. It runs over the top just behind the upper edge of the windshield, and then has a balance tube that's just behind the drivers' head. Sort of looks like redvetteracer's with bigger tubes. You do need to remember they get a bit warm.:sweat:

:stirpot:

Last edited:
Does anyone offer a X-pipe for my Hooker sidepipes ??

:D:D:D

Yes. It runs over the top just behind the upper edge of the windshield, and then has a balance tube that's just behind the drivers' head. Sort of looks like redvetteracer's with bigger tubes. You do need to remember they get a bit warm.:sweat:

:stirpot:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had the exact same idea for my 82 and order the dynomax muffler
it's really big (I still have it at the shop so I'll measure it for you).
it didn't fit between the tranny crossmember and rear crossmember.
it's really thick too and I think it's place is under a truck, not a Vette (ground clearance issue).
I decided to build a x-pipe to mount it where the cat was.

thanks for the heads up. especially with mine being lowered, the size is good to know.
i'll probably just stick with an X pipe where the cat used to be and just hang mufflers in the rear like normal.