INternal/EXternal....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
A guy asks if a fly on a supposed INTERNAL balanced ZZ4 engine should have a weight on it......AFAIK all GM flex plates has weights on them....don't recall seeing one that did not....

he also said that the harmonica balancer was neutral.....supposedly from wherever he got this engine....

all saying the engine is INternally balanced....i'ts a SBC iron roller block similar to a TPI engine right???

and so I look up GM performance engines ZZ4 and they clearly state EXternally balanced....as what I thought.....

so one way or another don't matter to ME, question I have is....

CAN a typical machine shop change a engine from internal to external balance??? I say NO, and especially no point to it.....

the weights on the fly/flex/balancer holes make up for the weights on the crank that are missing and has no room for inside the block.....

who right???

:bonkers:

They are an internal AND externally balanced motor.

The damper on the front does not have a weight in it(like a 400), but the flywheel does.

the small flexplate weights are for neutral balancing, the ext. balance weight is so large, you'll recognise it immediately when you see one:

big20080506170011.jpg

the small flexplate weights are for neutral balancing, the ext. balance weight is so large, you'll recognise it immediately when you see one:

big20080506170011.jpg

Yeh, my flex has that type/size weight on it, so I presume that's EXternal balanced.....correct???

That wheel is for an internal balance- all that weight does is return that wheel to a neutral balance. And external balance has a bigger weight.