Poly/rod end combo strut rods?

blumono1

Hi guys, have anybody tried to use a poly/rod end combo on the strut rod? The poly end would be on the strut bracket while the heim would be on the spindle support.

I have seen some dealers offer poly/rod end setup on the Camaro LCA's to minimize harshness associated with a full rod ends.

thanks

If you are talking about the strut rods on a C3, I don't know why this wouldn't work. However, since the axle halfshaft is used as an upper control rod and is basically a stack of solid metal, I'm not sure a poly end in the lower rods would "minimize harshness".

The only other concen would be that the trailing arm travels in an arc so the end of the rod moves front to back as well as up and down.

I don't see how this would work, like Larry said and even apart from that... to take the benefit of the misalignment angle of the rod end, you need one on both sides. If you have one on one side, the bushing on the other end will still deform. This arc that Larry mentions, this is the reason why I personally feel poly bushings are a bad idea for both the trailing arm pivot and the control rods. They are fine for when there's only rotation but these get twisted/deformed also. The PU is too hard for that, it will become brittle and crack over time. The stock rubber is much more compliant in those locations.

And Welcome to the motley crew of the Flying Dutchmen....

I have had the poly ends from VBP under my '72 for some time on those strut rods, had to change them once, did it a bit different around this time though...the bushings I had on hand were for early C2 and so smaller in diameter than the '72 rod ends...so I wrapped some tough plastic round the outside to make them fit snug in the loops, been that way some 5 years now, seems fine so far....a tiney little bit of extra slop to aid in the twist, yet they seem to be concentric in the location on the stud/bolts....:smash: