Dial Calipers

Which Dial Calipers

• Browne and sharp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Starrett

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
I have 3 Starrett 6 inch calipers, one is 50 years old, one is 30 and one is 15. I obviously have no complaints. If I were to find any fault with them, the gear rack is not protected from dirt and chips. I have jumped a tooth with them because of that but they are easily re-set.

I also have a B&S 12 inch and 6 inch.

Both brands are quality stuff.......difficult choice.

One pair is a Helios hardened stainless from Germany with a Nat. Bureau of Standards engraving on it....

the other is a Bestool KANON Japan, same hardened stainless....

Which is which. Come on gene.

Since we bombed both in the 40s, and make a better can than we do. I dont really have a preference.

I agree, both are good. My tool box is full of Starrett stuff and its all top notch. However, I've had a Browne and Sharpe dial calipers for for about 30 years now and it is still good as new. And. . . I hate to say it but Mitutoyo is fine as well. Alot depends on how you care for your tools. I always wipe mine off and put them back in their cases. I also keep camphor with my precision measuring stuff to keep it from rusting.

Which is which. Come on gene.

Since we bombed both in the 40s, and make a better can than we do. I dont really have a preference.

Aside from being the truth, my reply is intended to be sort of cute also....especially with the NBS engraving on the German tool.....

can't win....they both accurate as hell even if worse for wear....

surely the other two are also....

:drink:

Looking at the 2, the browne and sharp seems to have a more substantial slide, and just looks more elegant.

My response was pretty tongue in cheek. I chortled and my wife gave me a look.

Looking at the 2, the browne and sharp seems to have a more substantial slide, and just looks more elegant.

They are both good. :bonkers:Go with the cheapest you can find. If one is $20 less, it's the best.:yahoo:

I am leaning towards starrett as a company as at least they manufacturer their stuff in the US. The browne and sharpe stuff is made overseas.

Interestingly enough i just ordered a new b&s for $80.

I do actually know how to use these. I was briefly employed in a machine shop, and I am the only male in my family WITHOUT a home machine shop.

I can even read a micrometer.