Red Devil Brakes - Titanium Rotors Revisited

Kid Vette

Master-Baiter
:eek: Anybody familiar with Red Devil Brakes? A buddy showed me their catalog which states that they make a rotor/caliper kit for C3s. Their website just shows a kit for C5s but says at the bottom "Call today and ask about rotors for your C3 and C4!" The catalog says they have calipers for C3s as well.

Take a whiff of those prices??? a GRAND for a ROTOR?? ceramic coated or not, that is stupid....even on a two fer basis....jeebus....

I could race for decades and not spend that much on rotors...

:lol::lol:

Not to hijack but... wow difficult would it be to put C5 brakes on our C3s?

VBandP has a kit for that. I don't know as you would gain that much. The Wilwood kit would be better for the $$ I think.

Why would you even WANT C5 brakes? Floating pistons :(

Also, the VB&P kit is one rigged up mess. The kit has a bracket that requires the steering arm to be shimmed inboard with the bracket on one bolt hole and a shim on the other. The stock setup has the bracket on the other side. The steering arm has the exact stock bracket thickness (6mm??) compensated in the steering arm with a thinner boss on that end. so that the stock caliper bracket slides over the mounting bolt boss and is secured with the same bolt as the steering arm. The difference in thickness of those 2 bosses is exactly the thickness of the caliper bracket. Both use the same length bolt. Hope it's visible here:

skf196382.jpg

The left side is where the caliper bracket goes on.

Here's some pics of the VB&P stuff. See that instead of between the spindle and the steering arm, the bracket is moved over to the other side, requiring that big spacer on the top and the one on the steering arm. The spacer is not yet in place here, but that's the amount the arm is moved. That is a HUGE difference!!!!

2496cbdbca051d.jpg

2496cbdbf3eaa9.jpg

This was done because of the mounting bolt offset of the floating caliper, however the right way to do it was to have a bracket with either a thick mounting face for the caliper or some spacers there. This way it offsets the steering geometry (Ackerman angle too)

My thought was that the C5 has larger rotors and caliper. I would think it would stop better after a lap or two. At this time I have the VB&P C3 calipers with the heat sinks on the pistons and the rotors are cryo treated. Before I catch to much "stuff" I got a great deal for the package. My plan is to use the car in HPDEs. I am going back through the car now "frame off" and doing the recommended power book mods. I was just thinking while I am in there I could sell what's on it now and upgrade if there is something truly better and cost effective. The C5s are very cost effective but not sure of superior stopping performance? Any thoughts?

Yes, the C5 has larger rotors, without any brake bias valve it will throw the brake bias off also. Very dangerous. They are also designed to operate @ a higher line pressure. The C5 master is 1" bore diameter, the C3 power brake one is 1&1/8? The non power is also 1". Why not include a C5 master, it's a bolt on replacement. All you need is the lines to go from the M12x1,5 & M12x1 master sizes to the un flare sizes on the distribution block.