Hydraulic Throwout Bearing for a TKO?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I want to use a hydraulic throwout bearing on a TKO 500. I think McLeod makes one that will work but it's like $400.

Anyone have an alternate?

I'm all ears.....
bigears.gif
My throwout bearing just shot craps on RamJet's TKO.

Bullshark

What a rip! There has got to be an alternative.

Did the Tremec 3550's that were used in Mustangs use a HTbearing?

I'm all ears.....
bigears.gif
My throwout bearing just shot craps on RamJet's TKO.

Bullshark

Is yours the Mcleod? $400 down the drain? Thats nuts.

no just the stock GM bearing, but I agree.....$400 is nuts.

TT, what is that bracket on the McLeod scatter shield that holds the hoses? I had to do a little modification in that area on mine to remove a side bracket and allow clearance for the clutch bar bracket. Will that cause a new problem?

That is a very special part :D made by moi :) It's just a thin gauge piece of sheet metal with rubber on the back. It slips between the trans case and the bell housing )there's a gap between the case and the bell between the bolt holes) and secrues to the bellhousing with 2 bolts (drilled the holes & tapped them). It's just to keep trash out of there, otherwise you'd be left with a big gaping hole.

Wilwood makes a hydraulic slave cylinder for $89. It's a "Pull style."

I'll have the look at the Wilwood slave.

The hydraulic throwout bearing setup that Keisler sells is $650 and they provide very little information about just what it is you are buying. Then they have a "veiw full sized image" of the kit and it's a 252 x 252 postage stamp sized image! That's lame, I don't know how they get people to buy them.

I am going to go with the 85 Blazer master and a (as yet to be identified) slave cylinder.

Anyone know how much travel you need at the clutch fork on a C3?

I'll have the look at the Wilwood slave.

The hydraulic throwout bearing setup that Keisler sells is $650 and they provide very little information about just what it is you are buying. Then they have a "veiw full sized image" of the kit and it's a 252 x 252 postage stamp sized image! That's lame, I don't know how they get people to buy them.

I am going to go with the 85 Blazer master and a (as yet to be identified) slave cylinder.

Anyone know how much travel you need at the clutch fork on a C3?

I bet it ain't much. Check out this Jeep Hydraulic unit by Novac. Good reading here.http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/tech_clutch-link.htm

Some people who have used the Novak setup have clearance issues with the trans tunnel. That might make the pull style better with a TKO, there is no linkage on the side of the tranny.

Novak is the only place that I have seen any information about clutch fork travel. The state that you want a 1:1 ratio of master to slave travel (same bore for both). However some have used a 11/16 truck master and a 13/16 slave and that ratio is 1.4:1. The only thing I can figure is that the mechanical linkage has .400 free play in the actuator rod and the hydraulic system has no free play.

Some people who have used the Novak setup have clearance issues with the trans tunnel. That might make the pull style better with a TKO, there is no linkage on the side of the tranny.

Novak is the only place that I have seen any information about clutch fork travel. The state that you want a 1:1 ratio of master to slave travel (same bore for both). However some have used a 11/16 truck master and a 13/16 slave and that ratio is 1.4:1. The only thing I can figure is that the mechanical linkage has .400 free play in the actuator rod and the hydraulic system has no free play.

Then...........http://store.summitracing.com/partd...t=WIL-260-1333&N=700+-121693+115&autoview=sku