Rocker arms

guru

What you you guys do if you needed(wanted) a 1.8 intake rocker ratio and a 1.75 exhaust rocker ratio on a small block?

What you you guys do if you needed(wanted) a 1.8 intake rocker ratio and a 1.75 exhaust rocker ratio on a small block?

Stretch out 1.5s or 1.6s.

What's the question? Which brand?

Well there are crower stud mount rockers, or figure out a shaft rocker system.

The rocker mount are cheaper and will do the job effectively, no? Is there any reason why you actually NEED shaft mount stuff?

My thinking is that this is a really big rocker ratio with a really short arm length, that there might be a benefit that the rigidity of a shaft system could provide.

That's exactly what I would think, get the shafts. That's a real big ratio for a stuf.

I have some crower 1.6 ratio rockers I can use until I get the shafts sorted out. All the pro series shafts are all sold by the individual component.

Unless of course I can find a wicked deal on the parts off of fleabay.

Patience and all things will be possible.

I have some crower 1.6 ratio rockers I can use until I get the shafts sorted out. All the pro series shafts are all sold by the individual component.

Unless of course I can find a wicked deal on the parts off of fleabay.

Patience and all things will be possible.

well you are the king of getting high end parts for a steal, you'll find them.

I don't like high ratio rockers.....there is a M/E reason the factories tend to keep them at 1.5-1 ratio....has to do with fulcrum loading, which is why studs snap, and even if you go the other route, it is still increased loading/friction...

think you better off at solving your problem at the cam....that is a olde tyme opinion from other for some decades now, and it makes sense to me,.....

:flash:

Sounds like another justification for shaft rockers to me.

Dang it those things are like $1200 bucks.

Sounds like another justification for shaft rockers to me.

Dang it those things are like $1200 bucks.

What kind are you looking at? Jesel has a good reputation and if you hold them in your hand you can definitely see and feel the difference from the cheaper stuff on the market.

You know me on spending money, but if you're going to do it, the price difference between a good one, and a fair one, isn't that great.

http://www.jesel.com/

I have limited experience and knowledge in this area. My education tells me that shaft rockers are usually employed when you are running extreme high RPM for an extended period of time. They are designed for performance longevity.

Anyone care to further educate me on this subject?

Rich:beer:

I have limited experience and knowledge in this area. My education tells me that shaft rockers are usually employed when you are running extreme high RPM for an extended period of time. They are designed for performance longevity.

Anyone care to further educate me on this subject?

Rich:beer:

That's what they are four. 99% of our builds here don't require them. Guru is looking at pretty extreme ratios which will probably mandate them. Besides, he likes to have cool stuff!

I've seen people put them on hydraulic roller motors, guys from CF you know the type, not really necessary.

Also hand in hand with these is rev kits, another waste of money for 99% of our builds.

The rockers sit on a shaft which makes them stiffer and more accurate.

Here's a comp cam set:

cca-1500_w.jpg

You can see just by looking at them they would be better held in place than a standard stud mount rocker.

Last edited:
Jesel, crower, crane, and T&D.

The lower end stuff doesnt make the rocker ratios necessary.

I am leaning towards crower or crane. Crane has all the parts sold seperately and their website actually lists all the right parts and their part numbers to make it work.

The problem I have is that they have the qwik-lift thing and it makes me nervous a bit as they are talking about their ratios being higher than advertised. that makes me really nervous. So I can buy the pedestals and shafts ($600) and then each rocker is going to be ($60). So again $1400.

Last edited:
Jesel, crower, crane, and T&D.

The lower end stuff doesnt make the rocker ratios necessary.

I am leaning towards crower or crane. Crane has all the parts sold seperately and their website actually lists all the right parts and their part numbers to make it work.

The problem I have is that they have the qwik-lift thing and it makes me nervous a bit as they are talking about their ratios being higher than advertised. that makes me really nervous. So I can buy the pedestals and shafts ($600) and then each rocker is going to be ($60). So again $1400.

I'd take T&D off the list. I held one in my hands, not impressive next to the Jesel stuff. Just saying. Never saw a Crower. Remember, when you add this you're adding weight to the valve train. You want it as light as you can get.

On a high HP, high reving engine, I would like the newer shaft mount rockers over that stud girdle BS. What a PITA. Good ones would last forever, and be transferable to any other powerplant.

On a high HP, high reving engine, I would like the newer shaft mount rockers over that stud girdle BS. What a PITA. Good ones would last forever, and be transferable to any other powerplant.

I think those girdles are useless. I wouldn't trust that a screw wouldn't call out and go down a valve. They are a cheap example of what a true shaft rocker is.

A good stud girdle is a good crutch. Sometimes you are on the line between needing the 400 dollar part and the 1400 dollar part without a whole lot of middle ground.

I am reconsidering the shaft rockers and just using the 1.6 ratios until I switch over to a roller lifter get up. Then there might be some value in blowing 1400 bucks.

A good stud girdle is a good crutch. Sometimes you are on the line between needing the 400 dollar part and the 1400 dollar part without a whole lot of middle ground.

I am reconsidering the shaft rockers and just using the 1.6 ratios until I switch over to a roller lifter get up. Then there might be some value in blowing 1400 bucks.

Was the reason you're looking for the high ratio because you're going flat tappet? Are you trying to reproduce the fast ramp of a roller?

The screws in a girdle still make me nervous. there's 16 set screws per side under great vibration. I'm not saying this is a rampant problem, just makes me a bit nervous is all.