Crikey, it runs!!

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
Sort of...

I was finally at a stage yesterday where it was time to kick the BOSS in the guts. The new battery I'd bought had lost a bit of life and wouldn't crank real hard so I jumped it with my Dodge. Had loads of turning power then but sitting inside the car with Dodge just behind me, I could hear bugger all. It wasn't until I got my son to crank the Vette while I messed about with the carb that I first heard the clicking sound when the starter was engaged. It sounds like when the solenoid just clacks away when there isn't enough juice in the battery to turn the engine over but it was happening while the engine was turning over at a nice healthy speed. I can only assume the starter gear is slipping on the ring gear :confused:

Any ideas?

[ame=http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/billioo/?action=view&current=Dec302008-VID00071.flv]th_Dec302008-VID00071.jpg[/ame]

But, the old girl DID run :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

And, I'm pleased to add, after all my messing around the only thing to let the smoke out was the wiper motor. When I first connected the battery, the wiper arms moved a bit so I switched the wipers on to see if they'd sweep and stow properly - nope, nothing moved except the thin trail of smoke! A new one has been ordered ;)

[ame=http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/billioo/?action=view&current=Dec302008-VID00082_2.flv]th_Dec302008-VID00082_2.jpg[/ame]

Way to go mate, ain't it GRAND to hear a fresh project turn over and start right off??? hear all 8 puppies pulling in the same direction, you know the sled will be getting there.....as for the starter, it sounded fine to me, totally normal....

as for the wiper motor....maybe check grounding for the frame of the motor that the wiring is correct at the starter area of the engine.....the wiper motors gets it's ground from a ~10-12 ga black wire connected for some stupid reason, down at the starter area, so guys put that wire on the battery terminal on account of it being a 3/8 loop and fits there.....RONG, it's going under a 3/8 starter or bellhousing bolt.....I pull mine up top where it belongs and attach it to some bolt on the intake, that a way even I can't fuck it up again.....:bonkers::bomb:

Wayne,

Sounds great. I know you are glad to here it run. Now all you will need is around 5 air filters to protect the engine from all of the sand around there.

Glad to hear you got it running. I can hear the clicking in the first vid. Mine doesn't do that...at least not that I can hear.

Pretty soon you'll have to change your avitar.........

Did you make a resolution to have is running by the end of the year? Sounds like you did it, congratulations Wayne!:drink:

Congrats on getting it running.
Thanks mate, although you changed your post before I got a chance to reply. I was going to say that he'd come over to deliver a set of freebie Vortec heads :lol:

Glad to hear you got it running. I can hear the clicking in the first vid. Mine doesn't do that...at least not that I can hear.

Pretty soon you'll have to change your avitar.........
Glad you could hear the clicking. I haven't had a good look around yet or put my head down near the starter with it cranking. It's a brand new starter though, I wouldn't have thought that should misbehave?!?!

Did you make a resolution to have is running by the end of the year? Sounds like you did it, congratulations Wayne!:drink:

Sort of. I really wanted to get it at least fired up before New Year. 3 weeks with no cigarettes and the BOSS running - all before New Year. It can only get better from here :thumbs:

Congratulations Wayne :bounce: now where are the burn out video,s :skeptic: and next time we want the Wifey in those videos :amazed:

It was as cold as a witch's tit all last week so I didn't do anything on the BOSS. I had to take the Minister of War and Finance shopping this morning but was able to spend a couple of hours on the BOSS this afternoon.

Because it was running like a bag of poo last weekend, I bottomed out the mixture screws and wound them out 5 1/2 turns before I did anything else. I put a bit of gas down the carb throats, hit the key and she fired straight up, although I had to lower the idle as it was around 1500 rpm. I let her idle for a few minutes then shut down and checked all the fluids again. Topped up the rad and because of the inline cooler and extra plumbing, I had to top the transmission up and because of the Jeep box, Hydroboost, inline cooler and the extra plumbing, I had to top up the power steering fluid. Start up, shut down, top up the p/s again etc etc etc. If ayone's curious, I put just over 1 1/2 litres of fluid into the p/s system.

The engine was nice and warm after all that so I started looking for leaks. I found a couple on the p/s side and tightened them up no problems. I also discovered that the transmission cooler was leaking where the hose attached and the fuel pump was dripping but I can't get to either of them without the car being jacked up - tomorrow's job.

I did, however, take it for a little spin around our compound. I was itching to see how good the Jeep box and Hydro would be as after all this time, I was still a little sceptical about it. Holy SHIT am I impressed - the steering's gorgeous and the brakes are damn incredible!

Anyway, a bit more tinkering to do tomorrow then off for a wheel alignment on Saturday or Sunday, Insh'Allah.

Once that's done, I'll be pestering Bird and a couple of you others to help me decipher and implement Lar's tuning and Dizzy modifying. Mind you, I shocked myself today when I was turning back into my driveway - I goosed the throttle and the rears broke traction. Not too bad for a car that hasn't moved in around a year and has only been statically timed! Well, I was impressed anyway :thumbs:

Last edited:
A tune up is no biggie,after all you have done to it,it will be a piece of cake. Glad you got her rolling again,when's the first car show :D

Wayne,

I was worried how Kevin was going to take the news that, you were under the hood of the " BOSS ". No bouncies!

Good to hear your making progress!:yahoo:

Congrats

#1 ON THE 3 weeks with no cigarettes
#2 And the BOSS running - all before New Year. It can only get better from here :thumbs:

Hope you have as much fun as I have had.
Darrow:D

Wayne,

I was worried how Kevin was going to take the news that, you were under the hood of the " BOSS ". No bouncies!

Now if he had said he was under the hood of SWMBO now that deserves a :bounce:

Last edited:
:thumbs:

There are only a couple of feelings comparable to having your motor fire up & sound good for the first time! One involves girls, & the other is illegal.

And what's even better about that than either of the those: When you're done, you don't crash like you do after the illegal one, and unlike the girl, you don't have to lay there and cuddle for hours--the car likes it when you say "OK that was nice but now I wanna get back to work on the car."

:bump:

John

A tune up is no biggie,after all you have done to it,it will be a piece of cake. Glad you got her rolling again,when's the first car show :D
It shouldn't be too hard Kev but I might need to bother one of you kind US guys as a few months ago, the only place I could find that aold the spring kit for the dizzy, wouldn't accept my Australian credit card. As for car shows, I think I'd stand a good chance of winning - if, of course, there were any car shows :lol:

Wayne,

Maybe he'll be more bouncy after the next photo shoot :rose:

#1 ON THE 3 weeks with no cigarettes
#2 And the BOSS running - all before New Year. It can only get better from here :thumbs:

Hope you have as much fun as I have had.
Darrow:D
Over a month off the smokes now Darrow :thumbs:

Awesome Wayne, congrats :D
Thanks mate.

:thumbs:

There are only a couple of feelings comparable to having your motor fire up & sound good for the first time! One involves girls, & the other is illegal.

And what's even better about that than either of the those: When you're done, you don't crash like you do after the illegal one, and unlike the girl, you don't have to lay there and cuddle for hours--the car likes it when you say "OK that was nice but now I wanna get back to work on the car."

:bump:

John
I reckon I'll have to agree with you there John :lol:

I sorted the leaks this morning and they were without a doubt, a complete arse! Sorted now though. Went for a brief drive off the compound and realized all over again why I bought a Corvette. I haven't done any more to the timing or carb tuning but the car still managed to lite the rear wheels up after only a briefest jab on the throttle!! Am TOTALLY convinced that the money I spent on the Hydroboost and the Jeep box was money well spent! There's a bit of hazy smoke coming up from the rear of the engine after shut down but I had a damn good look and can't find anything burning - I can only assume that it's various paint or powder coat that's gettin g"used" to the heat??

I'm in two minds now to either take it for an inspection and THEN do the interior/electrics or do the interior/electrics first. Asmuch as I want to drive it, I'm swinging towards doing the interior first. Sitting in it at the moment is like sitting in a Corvette shaped chicken coop...

New photo's,did somebody say new photo's :yahoo: where are they i don't see them :search:

I can hardly wait :bounce::bounce::bounce: