I lost all my race car pictures

Yellow73SB

Around 500 of them when I switched to Vista, I had to because xp stopped working and I didn't have the original disc to repair it.

I think I have around that many on my old computer also, I'm not sure if it works though

You may try to physically install either hdrives (where you think your pics are) into another computer (preferrably Linux) and accessing it like a data drive.
Might be able to find and transfer them to another storage media.

I had the same problem with FAMILY shots. I pulled the disk out an sent it away, $850 nothing, lost.

Don't do anything.

Go out and buy a hard drive, I just picked up a 500GB SATA for $62. Buy an external enclosure for a hard drive.

Put your EXISTING hard drive in the enclosure and load up the new hard drive with the OS

Unless you totally damaged the drive, your pics will be there.

Back up your picks from the USB connected external drive, and then trash it and re load all your files back to the external

I ALWAYS have 2 drives on a computer. One is OS and programs only, the other is files. Then I back up the file drive.

File managment is consummate importance. I have files from the mid 90s all backed pu on CD. I'll probably never need them, but nice to know I have them.

You should be able to access that data if you install this HD into another computer as a slave drive.

I lost data once and since then I use a separate HD for the operating system, I used to have a 20GB drive for "C" and a bigger slave drive for the data, now it's a 80GB master and 250GB slave. This way, if the system crashes the data on the slave drive is safe.
..... nowadays 160GB is among the smallest available drives LOL

Around 500 of them when I switched to Vista, I had to because xp stopped working and I didn't have the original disc to repair it.

I think I have around that many on my old computer also, I'm not sure if it works though

Sorry to hear your loss, Four months ago I experienced the same problem. There are companies out there which can recover data off that failed Hard Drive. If its the recover disks your missing PM me,

Wife and I been taking all our pix and saving to a thumb drive recently...and also DVD's.....

:hunter: