TH350 Rebuild

stinger12

I need to do some research before I rebuild my TH350. What is the best book out there for rebuilding the TH350? Anyone here rebuild TH350 transmissions for a living?

Get an ATSG manual and a transgo vid.

As for books, Ron Sessions TH350 handbook don't know any others

I rebuilt a ton of them about 35 years ago when I was a line tech at a Chevy dealership. I probably still remember a little bit. :eek:

Auto Tranny Svc Group is the publisher....ATSG they have a basic reprint of the GM lit with tips and hints....things to look out for....read it first....

Trans Go is your shift kit, accept no other....

like the 400, I understand they are fairly easy to do.....but the real expert here has not been around much recently....that's TimAT.....

he knows them really well, used to work GM dealership....tranny guy....
now a daze he flys the world on aircraft projects....so give him some time....

meanwhile look here, he did post about a 400 rebuild project, and maybe he did a 350 also.....

IF the car is intended to be street driven you maybe want to look into a 200 4r for the car.....overdrive and almost as much durability as a built 350....

350 did come for one year I know of with a lockup converter 350c....in '81 for a vette....dunno about rest of the lineup....

In my old Pontiacs that weighed nothing less than 4100 lbs, I found the 350 to be lacking in durability....so went 400 back when....but keep in mind thost 400-455 Pontiac engine did a easy 450-550 ft lbs at nearly idle....

I buy tranny parts locally, but maybe some other guys know better for your situation....you could try NAPA though, they did have a lockup solenoid for me here next door....

:D

OK, a little off topic but I'm curious: what are you going to do with the Vette when it's done ? The reason I'm asking is that the TH350 is a good tranny for the drag strip but for normal driving you really want a OD tranny, auto or manual.... is anything wrong with the TH 350 that you have ?
I'd say leave it alone and drive the car before you rebuild a trans that you might not want to keep.
What gears do you have ? With my 3.55 gears it was pretty much painful to drive the car anywhere faster than 55mph.....

OK, a little off topic but I'm curious: what are you going to do with the Vette when it's done ? The reason I'm asking is that the TH350 is a good tranny for the drag strip but for normal driving you really want a OD tranny, auto or manual.... is anything wrong with the TH 350 that you have ?
I'd say leave it alone and drive the car before you rebuild a trans that you might not want to keep.
What gears do you have ? With my 3.55 gears it was pretty much painful to drive the car anywhere faster than 55mph.....

Karsten, what you say is certainly true.....in the Wash DC area, 80 is seldom attained let alone for very long...traffic, cops, roads, just not possible....

as you know here in Florida, 80 will get us passed regularly.....

on the trip south in Feb '97 to check out this state, and a gal I met over the internet, I cruised with my '72 muncie and 336 gearset all 800 miles of it on I95 getting pushed a fair amount and doing 4000 rpm for a good amount of the distance.....got 24 mpg on that trip...both ways.....which was interesting, as I had the L48 mild cam engine with TPI on it.....serp drive, pretty much stock far as rest of the running gear.....

I never thought much about O/drive one way or another living in DC up north, but HERE....it's o/drive or die.....

:smash:

I recently picked up a copy of Ron Sessions book from Amazon. It came from the used selection, but as new and only cost $15 and change shipped. The content covers all aspects and is well illustrated, but i haven't yet used it for a rebuild.

I've looked thru the Ron Sessions' book, not real close, but it seems well put together. Even with that, I'd still get the ATSG book. There are a few torrington bearings that look like they'll fit either way. They will, but they don't last too long backwards for some reason. It's one of those "You can never have too much information" things.

Awesome book. I've read it several times and use it as my assembly manual three times now for my TH350 :thumbs:.

Hey-76, when you used Sessions book for your rebuild, did it keep you going without any gaps of info leaving you confused on the next step? Thanks!

I've been using the ATSG manual TimAT recommended, and it has been a great help! Not to mention all the help TimAT and tracdogg2 have given me:banghead: Thank you:drink: