Best head castings....

Jsup

Well well well, guess what I just found out from someone ......well let's just say someone who has intimate knowledge of the situation.

Guess who makes castings for AFR.....hmmm.....anyone? anyone?

DART. Yep, Dart is doing the casting for AFR products.

I just thought it was interesting.

Oh, and Brodix has their own foundry that they themselves own.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9TDf-t9xiQ&eurl=http://brodix.com/

Just thought you all would find it interesting how incestuous the market is. More evidence that they are basically, all the same.

They have been bought out by AFR in 85 or so, old AFR heads were brownfield castings....it just shows that this is not something new, has been going on for a long time.

They have been bought out by AFR in 85 or so, old AFR heads were brownfield castings....it just shows that this is not something new, has been going on for a long time.

So did they provide the design or the casting? Where is Brownfield now?

Dart also used to do the world sportsman 2 castings.

I have a correction to make.

I was wrong. I was given a cryptic message in one of those "you didn't hear it from me" type things. This person is in a position to know.

Dart does NOT cast AFR heads.

They are cast in china.

That is why they CNC everything because the bare castings are not all that accurate, and how they are able to sell cheap.

I screwed up on this one, sorry.

Here's the last message:
I was mentioning the possibility that Head "A" might get castings for the latest models from the same place that a lot of consumers get their lead paint laden kiddy toys from

Ok, I have china heads on my current test motor. No, problems.

So, when I build my REAL motor this year, what are the best heads for the money in the 200cc to 220cc range?????????

I was going with AFRs, but if there is something "better" I'm all ears or eyes.:bounce:

So, when I build my REAL motor this year, what are the best heads for the money in the 200cc to 220cc range?????????

I was going with AFRs, but if there is something "better" I'm all ears or eyes.:bounce:

If you're convinced AFR is the best head around, buy them. I hope they give you everything you want and more. Just please don't try to go religious on us and try to convince everyone else to do the same.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by REAL MOTOR but that would probably dictate what you want. Is your goal to do it cheap or to do it right? If you're dropping $1200 on rods and $400 on an oil pan, I would submit to skip those expenses and put more money into a head, go for a $3000 Brodix head and get something REALLY good. Spending money wisely in other areas of the motor opens up your choices of head dramatically and still keeps you in budget.

On the other hand if you're spending $1200 on rods and $400 on an oil pan, why cheap out on heads?

Too many variables.

My suggestion if you're not sure, pick your goals, define your budget, talk to every head manufacturer and decide which line of bullshit you choose to believe. That's what I did and in my opinion it works. Ever pick up the phone and call Brodix? Dart? All Pro? or did you just decide AFR in a vacuum? Do your homework, or not, doesn't matter to me. Like I said, as long as you don't go all leghumper on us, all good products. I'd prefer and American made product, but that's me.

Last edited:
I am waiting to see the upcomming brodix raised runner oval port heads.

If you're convinced AFR is the best head around, buy them. I hope they give you everything you want and more. Just please don't try to go religious on us and try to convince everyone else to do the same.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by REAL MOTOR but that would probably dictate what you want. Is your goal to do it cheap or to do it right? If you're dropping $1200 on rods and $400 on an oil pan, I would submit to skip those expenses and put more money into a head, go for a $3000 Brodix head and get something REALLY good. Spending money wisely in other areas of the motor opens up your choices of head dramatically and still keeps you in budget.

On the other hand if you're spending $1200 on rods and $400 on an oil pan, why cheap out on heads?

Too many variables.

My suggestion if you're not sure, pick your goals, define your budget, talk to every head manufacturer and decide which line of bullshit you choose to believe. That's what I did and in my opinion it works. Ever pick up the phone and call Brodix? Dart? All Pro? or did you just decide AFR in a vacuum? Do your homework, or not, doesn't matter to me. Like I said, as long as you don't go all leghumper on us, all good products. I'd prefer and American made product, but that's me.

Well, actually I've been head porting since 78. I've done dozens of sets of stock iron heads. Just started doing alum heads for myself. Went with China heads at 700 dollars complete. Did some port work on them and was surpised at the power above 4,500 rpm.

Since you were not a fan of AFRs, I thought you might have something better in mind. I'm always looking for the latest and greatest.;)

Last edited:
More to a head than a name brand. the volume measurement is irrelevant. What size cross sectional area do you need for how long? What is the appropriate minimum cross sectional area you need at what choke point? What is your power goal? what kind of RPMs are we talking here? Bore/stroke?

Personally I would be looking at a rons porting service 220cc head or the similiar head from M2 porting. All pro also has a 219cc ported head that would probably do the trick.

Brodix is going to have a raised runner oval port head in the 210cc range that will probably demolish all comers. Will the intake fit under the hood..... Probably not.

The All Pro AP220S flows every single bit as much as the AFR 227 heads. Its ridiculously expensive and you need a Stahl type header flange buy hey. You asked.

Last edited:
Well, actually I've been head porting since 78. I've done dozens of sets of stock iron heads. Just started doing alum heads for myself. Went with China heads at 700 dollars complete. Did some port work on them and was surpised at the power above 4,500 rpm.

Since you were not a fan of AFRs, I thought you might have something better in mind. I'm always looking for the latest and greatest.;)

It's not that I'm not a fan of AFR. I think they have one of the top 10 products in the market. But that's the point, top 10. #1 in some applications, #10 in others.

What I can't stand is the arrogance and leg humping that goes on from people about them. They aren't the greatest head ever invented. That's my problem. Plus the fact all their "tests" are rigged in one way or another.

More to a head than a name brand. the volume measurement is irrelevant. What size cross sectional area do you need for how long? What is the appropriate minimum cross sectional area you need at what choke point? What is your power goal? what kind of RPMs are we talking here? Bore/stroke?

Personally I would be looking at a rons porting service 220cc head or the similiar head from M2 porting. All pro also has a 219cc ported head that would probably do the trick.

Brodix is going to have a raised runner oval port head in the 210cc range that will probably demolish all comers. Will the intake fit under the hood..... Probably not.

The All Pro AP220S flows every single bit as much as the AFR 227 heads. Its ridiculously expensive and you need a Stahl type header flange buy hey. You asked.

Haven't decided the specs yet.
It really depends on wheather I go 372 - 406 - or 427 SB. If I go BB then it will be a 496. Just wanted to know what you thought was a good head other than AFRs. Thanks for the input.:beer:

Haven't decided the specs yet.
It really depends on wheather I go 372 - 406 - or 427 SB. If I go BB then it will be a 496. Just wanted to know what you thought was a good head other than AFRs. Thanks for the input.:beer:

I'd say:

Brodix has numerous models.
Edlebrock Has numerous models
Dart Has one model
All Pro
Canfield
Patriot

To name a few.

Of course, what determines "better"? We don't know your criteria.

My argument, they're all the same, what logo do you like best? Being a head porter, you should be able to make any of these heads dance. Brodix and Dart seem to be piling up trophies and control their own castings. Both have a reputation of responding very well to porting. I'd lean that way.

Last edited: