Powder coating issue

cajos1968

:sos:
I have some issues with powder coating. It seems that there is not enough current between object and gun. Even if I direct the gun towards the clip there is a small spark, where as there use to be a big one. Any one have a clue? It is -5 Celsius could the cold be the problem or is it the equipment?

It's the Chicago el cheapo. Worked fine 2 day's ago, I'm in the process of pc'ing my front arms. I have one black and one metallic silver. Couldn't decide what looks best, so I tested one each. Come to think of it did work fine during pc'ing the shafts, hmmmm.

I took a closer look at the gun and discovered a wire to the lower part of the gun that is sort of exposed. Must be a ground leak somewhere. Maybe it is the metal flake in the metallic silver. I will test again with black if that doesn't work either I will cut away the shrink wrap tomorrow and see it the wire is secured underneath it.

It must have a good ground. I have both Eastwood guns and they work great in the cold or normal temp. Check the ground on yours.

Danny

I think Saudi Vette had that same gun and had the same problem,he will chime in later tonight.
I purchased the Eastwood gun and have had no problems with it yet.

I have been getting such good results spraying hot that it is about the only way I do it anymore. When spraying hot you don't really need the electrical charge either. Something to keep in mind.

My first gun was a Harbour Freight/Chicago type and worked well for a while then one day it didn't. I bought Eastwood's hobby gun, which wasn't much more expensive than the HF/Chicago gun and haven't had a problem since.

Curiously, the Eastwood unit doesn't seem to have as strong a spark as the HF one did but I get far better results with the Eastwood one. I don't hot flock (spraying the iem hot) unless it's a non ferrous item (like a dizzy cap) or if I'm having trouble shotting into corners etc...

I had some reply on the caswell site. They think it is an ground issue. I run a 220/110 V converter which is not grounded. I will ground my object separately (not only with the clip) and see what happens.

Saudi? Since we have 220V in The Netherlands and the PowderGun is US import 110V. So the converter is between mains and the PCGun.

Yes I was.
Yes mate, you would plug the converter into your 220v supply and that will step it down to 110v, then you plug your pc gun into the 110v side of the converter...

I had a look yesterday, and grounded the object to a different source, no luck. Small spark. I didn't pc, since my compressor is broken. So I don't know if the attraction is less.

Basically, just check the gun and make sure that the wiring's not come loose or anything.

The Eastwood gun I use now actually seems to have a smaller spark than the Harbour Feight one ever did, but the Eastwood one works far better. Go figure :confused:

If you try it again when your comp's working and it's still crap, then I guess the "black box" must be biffed...

I've given my Eastwood gun heaps of work and it's still going fine. The only thing I needed to do was run some RTV silicone around the top where the tub meets the "lid". I also modded the "air" tube (can't think of the correct name!!) by pushing a silicone bung in there, trimming it off flush and then drilling some cross holes through the tube, just above where the bung finished.

Still no powder coat gun.

Eastwood canceled the ordered without communicating to me. I found out because I called them. Ooops "they" made a mistake. The should have shipped the "new" order out on Tuesday, even that was a difficult job, as it turned out. Now Friday at the end of the day. I still did not receive a tracking number :shocking: so probably Monday (plus 10 days shipping). So I lost more then a month thanks to Eastwood. Front end is still waiting to be finished. (Then I can move the car again)

They gave me the "Powder Coating handbook" for free because of the cancellation, and my strong words about that.

IS Eastwood always so slow to deal with?

You must of got them on a bad day or it was just a fluke,i have ordered a lot of equipment from them without incident so far :trumpet: