IE vs Firefox

SmokinBBC

I was bitching about MSN IE a couple of weeks ago...slowness, popups, etc. I thought it was my laptop. So my son hears me and tells me to try Firefox. Well, I've been using IE since introduced, so I was skeptical that anyone could make a browser better than MS.

So I loaded up Firefox and been running it for a couple of weeks now. I'm convinced, it is much better than IE.

I think the problem with IE is number of users accessing the net. When my kids are playing online games and the wife net shopping and me browsing on a DSL, IE is just plain slow. 5 pc's all connected via wireless at the same time.

Now with the same users and circumstances and me using Firefox, my laptop web browsing is quick. I't been a few weeks and not one bit of slowness or problem. And yes, 3 of the other PC's are running IE and the kids are always bitching about slowness.

What's going here? Is FF just designed/programmed better?

I like FF better. Brother in law turned me on to it about 4 years ago. Haven't used IE in a long time. It's still on the desktop, but if I ever use it...it's extremely slow compared:rain:

MY first computer on dialup in '95 using win'95 and I forget what machine, but I know the damn monitor alone was some 700 bux......anyway, the guys hooked me up with the Mozilla browser at the time Netscape owned the title Mozilla......Netscape made a GREAT browser for it's time, would not surprise me if FFox was the same talent/guys.....but Netscape got bought by AOL, languished for a long time, and now even AOL is in trouble, I think.....
dialup being about antique as hell.....

I found one GREAT speed increase this time around with FF, having not such a great experience some years ago....

NOW, MSFT development guy I met up with told me that IE was just a capable but was loaded down with too many options, making it more 'robust' or something what with all those stupid 'players' or some such.....

but I question how much in the way of 'players' need be supported.....kinds like ways to publish a freeking Pix on the wire.....jpg does it, who needs the rest??? or players, YTube is the one, who needs the rest....??
all I know is if the thing don't open quickly, I cancell the d/load.....

:tomato::bonkers::goodnight:

I've been using FF the past 6 years or so. No faster, just more stable. Only random crashes...IE would crash like clock-work. Whatever you do, don't delete IE. It is tied into many other Windows programs.

I've been using FF the past 6 years or so. No faster, just more stable. Only random crashes...IE would crash like clock-work. Whatever you do, don't delete IE. It is tied into many other Windows programs.
My pages load alot faster in FF than in IE

I switched to FF several months back,and i have to agree,the pages load much faster than IE.

Firefox is much better but I have found a couple websights that don't like it and won't load the pictures so I use IE for them.

Does FF finally do all the fancy stuff that IE can do? I have never tried it after trying it a very long time ago. What a mess. I remember back in the day that netscape navigator couldn't even do transparent gifs...what a joke.

i never have pop ups in IE or any other issues. Have been having memory allocation issues with IE a of late (still haven't figured out what it is, has been happening since the last major windows service pack 3 update and all)

I may have to try FF again.

Seems like every time MSFT comes out with a 'service' pack, the machines fail to work worth shit anymore....I have had them shut down....so I just wait for a year or so before EVER d/load ANYTHING from MSFT.....

still on XP to boot, it works......any site that won't d/load something because of FF, F'em I don't need it.....programmer needs get with the times....

:harhar:

Does FF finally do all the fancy stuff that IE can do? I have never tried it after trying it a very long time ago. What a mess. I remember back in the day that netscape navigator couldn't even do transparent gifs...what a joke.

i never have pop ups in IE or any other issues. Have been having memory allocation issues with IE a of late (still haven't figured out what it is, has been happening since the last major windows service pack 3 update and all)

No probs with IE here either and FF isn't any faster for me.
Last few weeks had new security holes discovered in IE and MS was slow to patch.
I run commercial grade MB's (Tyan) and good Infineon or Micron memory and seldom a problem.
Have run into instances where memory works 99.9% of time and when rarely fully loaded will lock. Only 1 chip out 50. Rare here, but suspect it is pretty common on run of the mill boxes.
Try a little free prog called CCleaner, works great, gets rid of a lot of the little memory leak culprits.
Or this
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/06/12/628499.aspx
Or this
Turn off and leave off "hibernation" > set pagefile to "0" > reboot > run all cleaners, empty recycle bin, etc > defrag > reboot > reset pagefile to desired size. Only way I know of to fix the pagefile. You'll see what I mean when you defrag without it.

What fancy stuff?

Try FF, it's free and the program downloads quickly. One thing that I like about it is the startup page(s). If you have 5 tabs open, all you need to do click the startup pages button in options to chose all the pages. In IE, you actually have to type in the page addresses if you want more that one to open.

Last few weeks had new security holes discovered in IE and MS was slow to patch.
I run commercial grade MB's (Tyan) and good Infineon or Micron memory and seldom a problem.
Have run into instances where memory works 99.9% of time and when rarely fully loaded will lock. Only 1 chip out 50. Rare here, but suspect it is pretty common on run of the mill boxes.
Try a little free prog called CCleaner, works great, gets rid of a lot of the little memory leak culprits.
Or this
Or this
Turn off and leave off "hibernation" > set pagefile to "0" > reboot > run all cleaners, empty recycle bin, etc > defrag > reboot > reset pagefile to desired size. Only way I know of to fix the pagefile. You'll see what I mean when you defrag without it.

I always wondered if my IE problems were actually Windows XP problems. I have never had this laptop lock-up on me. Keep my fingers crossed. When I have task manager open, rarely have I seen the memory useage on this laptop get higher than say 50%.

Or this
Or this

I always wondered if my IE problems were actually Windows XP problems. I have never had this laptop lock-up on me. Keep my fingers crossed. When I have task manager open, rarely have I seen the memory useage on this laptop get higher than say 50%.

Drives my wife crazy, but when any machine locks up, starts doing weird shit and cant escape some routine....I just hit the power switch, off goes the power, and so she (and MSFT) claim that can hurt the computer, mess up the drives, etc......NEVER ONCE have I hurt any machine from doing that....when the power dies, all chips go to reset, and instant dump....and NO program in existance or even possible to compose can get around the FACT of a dump on reset wiping out all of everything.....

unless of course it's hard storage, drive/etc.....

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I"m no programing guy, but I know hardware fairly well.....

What fancy stuff?

Try FF, it's free and the program downloads quickly. One thing that I like about it is the startup page(s). If you have 5 tabs open, all you need to do click the startup pages button in options to chose all the pages. In IE, you actually have to type in the page addresses if you want more that one to open.

Well, once you start using heavily scripted stuff, being javascript, dhtml, and so on and so on, IE always supports it, a lot of other browsers don't. Same for the latest HTML tags, there are browsers that don't handle them all.

The really nice part is on the few times that FF locks up it gives you an option to restore your last session so it will take you right back to were you where.