Carpeting.....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
Years ago I bought new carpeting for my '72, it's been a super PIA in that the OEM (replacement) carpeting had bleached itself silly yellow from the tan/saddle it was supposed to be, I find most carpets here in convertibles in Florida do that to some extent....sunlight....so I redyed the carpet a dark chocolate brown in a ceramic bath tub....did not last all that long....5 year later now and it's back to being yellow again....

so, to replace the carpeting, and so new carpeting is expensive....WAY in hell over double what I paid years ago....honestly I feel it's a rip off.....300 bux+ for carpeting is silly....so...

has anyone got any clue how/what technique to fit ordinary house carpeting into cars by steam?? or cutting??? any tips???

also about keeping the color from fading so stupidly???

:shocking:

Never seen any house carpet installed in an auto that ever looked quite right.
Except some conversion vans. But then my experience has been the house
carpets tend to fade 10 times faster than the OEM grade stuff.

I know the conversion companies use the cheapest crap they can find,
but a really good house carpet is so thick it makes it impossible to install in a sports car.

If you want durability and easy to maintain replace it with a Tan Color bed liner
material like Rhino Liner. :twitch: Go to the beach....get sand in the car.....just hose it out .........and call it a day. :smash: :eek: :stirpot:

Never seen any house carpet installed in an auto that ever looked quite right.
Except some conversion vans. But then my experience has been the house
carpets tend to fade 10 times faster than the OEM grade stuff.

I know the conversion companies use the cheapest crap they can find,
but a really good house carpet is so thick it makes it impossible to install in a sports car.

If you want durability and easy to maintain replace it with a Tan Color bed liner
material like Rhino Liner. :twitch: Go to the beach....get sand in the car.....just hose it out .........and call it a day. :smash: :eek: :stirpot:

Bee lee mee, that not such a far fetched or poor solution, ....except for

HEAT:shocking::hissyfit:

The previous owner of my '79 was obviously an expert in HomeDepot or Lowes clearance section carpet installations. :censored:
My advice: don't do it.....

Check Wilcox Ebay store, I got the carpet for a little over $200 shipped. They had by far the best price.

The previous owner of my '79 was obviously an expert in HomeDepot or Lowes clearance section carpet installations. :censored:
My advice: don't do it.....

Check Wilcox Ebay store, I got the carpet for a little over $200 shipped. They had by far the best price.

I was thinking the same thing...hard to beat this price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/68-7...262QQcategoryZ6763QQihZ002QQitemZ120352622347

Yep. I bought the same set this summer along with Dynamat. Just waiting for the right window of oppertunity to install it.