88 Callaway Sledgehammer

In the middle of that vid....they talked of fuel contamination, and it being similar to a ignition problem....which it turned out I also had.....

the difference is they solved it in less than a week....it took ME some years.....

friggin' gasoline not worth a damn....OR who knows what??:(:mad:

That is one awesome car. I still think the C4 aerobody looks better than the C5 & 6.

TT, it goes back a long ways...my first car was a '60 vette, lasted a year, lost in a wreck so for to get insurance I jumped into Pontiac hotrods....this in the 60-70's back into convertibles and tow cars, then into a used '87 vette in '92 or so, after the divorce....but the '87 vert was a POS that severely let me down in lots of ways, and the seat to boot got very uncomfortable for me as it was way to narrow, so it was uncomfortable to drive....tried to work on it and had no luck in that score....I spend some 3 grand in parts alone to keep it on the road....the clearcoat was peeling, I had so many problems, and then club members were commenting about many further expensive and time consuming issues like healights, and window motors, and whatever else was waiting for me, the 700 tranny was turning brown, the intake gaskets were eaten by the dealership as a goodwill gesture.....I was getting to the point that if I had to be constantly fixing all this over engineered plasticky crap, I maybe as well rebuild a older car without emission testing and build the fucking thing MY way.......and when what at that time were some 800 bux worth of tires needed replaced, I decided to ditch it while the thing was running ok.....and get this '72......

now I did learn a lot off that '87, about engine controls, and computer, having had the time to do with what I WANTED in the evenings and off times.....like have FUN with the kids instead of listen to the old lady bitch all the time.....

so anyway, I learned to put a TPI together ok, and run it on the '72 here, and do other things to the car......I put DPFI on a Volvo I/O boat I had, ran it with a GM computer, about doubles the fuel economy on that boat, and upped the performance a good bit also....

the '72 with the OEM 336 and muncie went from 12-14 mpg machine to 24 mpg on the highway, just for the TPI on the rebuilt by P/O L48.....not so shabby and just fine for the Wash DC area.....never hold speeds of 80 mph for very long....too much traffic....

here in Florida....another story cruise 80+++ for hours on end....needed overdrive....long history of mods then in the last 12 years here....

:bonkers::hi:

I like 80s US cars, even though many people consider them trailer trash cars.

80's was the "catch up era" of cars in the US. EPA mandates were too hard to meet for the snail pace R&D of the big 3. While developing new tech like OBDII, the cure was "patches" if you will. Further rapid detuninmg and stop gap measures to meet standards while they caught up with engineering. I have owned 3 cars from that era. Never again. Even though I miss my land yacht 81 caddy, the HT4100 engine was a GIANT POS.

I like 80s US cars, even though many people consider them trailer trash cars.

80's was the "catch up era" of cars in the US. EPA mandates were too hard to meet for the snail pace R&D of the big 3. While developing new tech like OBDII, the cure was "patches" if you will. Further rapid detuninmg and stop gap measures to meet standards while they caught up with engineering. I have owned 3 cars from that era. Never again. Even though I miss my land yacht 81 caddy, the HT4100 engine was a GIANT POS.

A neighbor up the street who lived here 12 years ago, had his own Caddy specialized garage, he was a caddy line mech for years, he commented that he made a good living on that engine for a long time, and that if fixed correctly would last many decades.....when he said that I gave him the usual ration of shit over that comment, but he swore by his statements so I dropped the matter.....I know the rep of that HT4100 is it's the worst engine GM ever made....

meanwhile a old friend up north had a 4.1 V6? Caddy of same vintage, ran that sucker forever and a decade no problems....I kept asking if it was the HT engine, he finally popped the hood, and sure enough it wasn't....

an ages old friend from HSchool yet was a Caddy line mechanic, not the same guy as up the road.....my old friend was into corvettes also as was his older brother,.....same with the guy up the road, now that I think of it....

They should give corvette to Caddy and dump the vette styling for the newer Caddy/vettes they look better anyway....

:tomato::flash: yeh, I know I"ll catch shit over that comment....

:goodnight: