cam thoughts

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
my other current project is a little '72 240Z i have all pulled apart. i'm in the process of putting the engine back together right now but (doesn't this always happen?) i looked on comp cams website and sure enough, they still list new cams for the straight six.
http://www.compperformancegroupstor..._Code=CC&Product_Code=84-119-6&Category_Code=
so here's the deal, i found a 260 engine and i'm using that rotating assembly (no difference in blocks, just crank and rods between 2.4 and 2.6). i've already purchased a holley (goddammit!) 390cfm 4bbl and intake manifold for it, header soon to follow. as long as i have it apart (who hasn't said that?) why not drop in a 252 or 260 cam? two concerns, 1) nobody seems to offer a heavier valve spring for such a cam. hell, i'm having a hard time finding new stockers. i'm really not sure i want to throw any more lift at 30+ year old valve springs. 2) factory compression is only about 8.2:1 with an aluminum head. i'm thinking the 252 might respond pretty well even with the low compression but i think i still would like fresh springs. if i could find some fresh springs, i might be too tempted to try the 260. then i'd be worried i'd just be throwing too much cam with the compression.
thoughts?

[EDIT] i shouldn't say nobody offers valve springs. one outfit i've found offers them as part of a package including the cam, lash caps, and new rockers to the tune of $570. jeez! i thought the corvette tax was out of hand!

Last edited:
Call Compcams, under their specialty cam section they mention that they will make custom cams for the datsun motors, and might even be able to point you in the direction of springs.

EH those old boat anchors engines weighed like a SBC of daze past....

I would stick a 3.1-3.4 in there and call it a day with modern DPFI , the works....

where was this car driven that it's still on the roads??? all I have seen for over 20 years now have been rusted out to trash....it was on a lift at the station, and the ex had just left...underside was a sea of holes and rust like all unibody cars in the ice and snow weather....the kid that owned it was in for some BAD news as in forgetaboutit....he had just bought the car.....

thanks TT, i'll check them out

guru, they still list the cam but i've alreay spoken to them about the springs. they have no idea.

GENE, i have a 4.3 for my 240, but this is a "resto-mod" for mrs. 'dust and she wants it to stay datsun.

I always thought one of the sidedraft manifolds and some weber carbs would be cool.

thanks TT, i'll check them out

guru, they still list the cam but i've alreay spoken to them about the springs. they have no idea.

GENE, i have a 4.3 for my 240, but this is a "resto-mod" for mrs. 'dust and she wants it to stay datsun.

Yeh, that maybe true, but don't say nuttin' and stick the 4.3 in there.....put a smile on her face.....

:1st:

guru, have you seen how expensive that side draft carb set up is???

GENE, no, the 4.3 is mine. once i get them both put together, we're going to run door to door just to see who's faster. ;)

Have you been to hybridz? There's plenty of people on that forum running bigger cams in N/A motors, and I'm sure they could put you in the right direction.

Just wondering, why are you staying n/a? those motors are ridiculous with a little boost. my friend has a 83 zx turbo running 17psi on the stock 280 internals. and a 72 240 also (gene style: tpi motor). If I didn't have a vette, I'd be in a 240, great cars

My friend has a 240 with a RB20 motor in it, that thing is fun as hell. He is selling it to get a skyline with an RB26 shoehorned in with twin turbo. Id love to get a 72 240 and stick the RB26 in there :)

I remember my cousin in North Little Rock at the SAC base there, before it was TAC.....he had a 240 then a 260, then a 280 also I think.....he loved his Z's thing was he is a good bit shorter than me, so for him it was perfect....

I don't think they ever made convertibles in those....did they?? never seen one that I recall.....

my sis had a Miata some time ago up in the mountains of Pennsylvania....it was a fun little ride for HER....she drove me into the mountains once in it, and my head was WAY the hell over the windshield......

:hissyfit::bonkers::D

Have you been to hybridz? There's plenty of people on that forum running bigger cams in N/A motors, and I'm sure they could put you in the right direction.
no, just heard of that site the other day but didn't know what to search for. :blush: tried 'hi breed z' and 'high bred z', etc. i'll check it out.

like i said, this is just a resto-mod project. all i'm looking for is for it to be able to get out of its own way. you want to see over-the-top z-cars? check out the arizona z car website. turbo skyline motors got nothing on these guys. how about a twin turbo LS motor?

my z (4.3 v-6) is going to be more about the balance. i figure i can easily make 300hp out of that for a straight track car. if i can keep it under 3000#, and dial in the suspension, THAT's going to be a fun ride.

no, just heard of that site the other day but didn't know what to search for. :blush: tried 'hi breed z' and 'high bred z', etc. i'll check it out.

like i said, this is just a resto-mod project. all i'm looking for is for it to be able to get out of its own way. you want to see over-the-top z-cars? check out the arizona z car website. turbo skyline motors got nothing on these guys. how about a twin turbo LS motor?

my z (4.3 v-6) is going to be more about the balance. i figure i can easily make 300hp out of that for a straight track car. if i can keep it under 3000#, and dial in the suspension, THAT's going to be a fun ride.

Arizona z car is a great company, my friend got a bunch of parts for his 240 there, (billet moustache bar and other billet diff mounts)- their pieces are really nice. also, if you havent figured out by now its hybridz.org
I just wish corvette parts were this cheap :hissyfit:

yeah, 427. i met the guy down in phoenix when i got the manifold. (christmas party at our corporate offices was in phoenix) the guy has a couple c5's. good guy.
i found hybridz but not sure i'm welcome over there. apparently, the mod(s) are grammar nazis!:pprrtt:

i found hybridz but not sure i'm welcome over there. apparently, the mod(s) are grammar nazis!:pprrtt:

Don't include me in that! In fact I TAKE (constructive criticism) ALL THE TIME FOR MY GRAMAR AND SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION