speaking of failure to hump legs...

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
i had the electronic q-jet on my '81 for something like 10 years since i owned the car. a couple years ago when i rebuilt the engine, i ditched the 'puter for a straight analog system. so i installed a 750 holley. i've had more problems out of this garbage pile of bolts than i ever did with that q-jet. hell, i've put less than 3000 miles on this motor and the carb has been a constant problem. it's not even that old. granted, i bought it used from a buddy (he went 8-71 with two 600 double pumpers) but it's still a fairly new carb.
so today i finally get around to taking it apart to figure out what the hell is wrong with it this time. looks like i lost the rear float, it's half full of gas. i also screwed up the vacuum secondary diapragm when i pulled it apart to change the spring. so i found one problem and created one problem. i'm going to put a new diapragm and float in this thing and if that doesn't do it, i'm throwing it into the deepest part of lake mead. eff this.
i just fail to understand what the big deal is with holley. maybe they do make more power than a q-jet or carter in an all out racing application. but i just like something that works from the time you pull it out of the box.

i had the electronic q-jet on my '81 for something like 10 years since i owned the car. a couple years ago when i rebuilt the engine, i ditched the 'puter for a straight analog system. so i installed a 750 holley. i've had more problems out of this garbage pile of bolts than i ever did with that q-jet. hell, i've put less than 3000 miles on this motor and the carb has been a constant problem. it's not even that old. granted, i bought it used from a buddy (he went 8-71 with two 600 double pumpers) but it's still a fairly new carb.
so today i finally get around to taking it apart to figure out what the hell is wrong with it this time. looks like i lost the rear float, it's half full of gas. i also screwed up the vacuum secondary diapragm when i pulled it apart to change the spring. so i found one problem and created one problem. i'm going to put a new diapragm and float in this thing and if that doesn't do it, i'm throwing it into the deepest part of lake mead. eff this.
i just fail to understand what the big deal is with holley. maybe they do make more power than a q-jet or carter in an all out racing application. but i just like something that works from the time you pull it out of the box.

Buy you a Carter AFB, right outta the box, runs fine...done it about 2-3 times with me and friends....virtually a shure shot....

:quote:

go to a car show, look careful at the cars driven there, 90% of the time, if ti's a Holley, look for the fuel leak evidence.....

Since I haven't done carbs since my C3 in 1990, I can't comment on which ,makes more power today. However, these claims of power have they ever really been proven?

Just wondering.

Since I haven't done carbs since my C3 in 1990, I can't comment on which ,makes more power today. However, these claims of power have they ever really been proven?

Just wondering.

hhe...Damned if I know,....my only comment is that for any given flow rate, the obstruction of the choke flapper/rod is limiting to power, and so many holly carbs had none.....especially on the secondary.....

olde tyme stories....

Just wondering.

hhe...Damned if I know,....my only comment is that for any given flow rate, the obstruction of the choke flapper/rod is limiting to power, and so many holly carbs had none.....especially on the secondary.....

olde tyme stories....

Stories aren't proof, are they?

Want my HONEST opinion.....methinks some guys had no clue how a fucking choke worked....so they made life simple, and yes if the choke blades/bar were eliminated one could bet on getting better flow numbers....how much that actually helped is another story....

as I remember 650? cfm rated flow was enough to make a 350? chebby happy to 5? grand.....something along those lines....most guys dumped 10000 cfm on there and thought the had a blower or something.....

I just remember a whole lot of stories, crap, and yes some bad experiences....

but for me, being a olde tyme ET from the vacuum tube daze yet....remember them olde things that glowed orange and sorta looked like a funky lightbulb and had enough voltage on them to make your life miserable??? yeh, them things....the Brit's called them VALVES.....beleieve it or not.....:eek:

so wiring up a computer DPFI system on a car for me is almost nothing....

battling fucking CHEMISTRY and water in the gas, is something else though...