C2/C3 Rear Wheel Bearing Setup Tool

Fuelie74

Does anyone have the dimensions for a rear wheel bearing set up tool? I have a machinist in the family and was thinking of having him make one for me rather than spending the $100 on one.

IF I remember correctly, Jim/Turtlevette had one for sale or Xmas giveaway....check here or on the 'other place'.....he maybe banned there so maybe it's ONLY HERE...

:crutches:

I have a slip fit spindle that I used to get mine setup. Check out my thread in the rebuilding section (JohnnyJoints or bearing endplay), lots of pics...

I can send you the spindle if you want but having the tool made is probably cheaper than shipping this thing.

http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2400

Having the tool made actually will only cost me the price of steel. Talked to the guy tonight and he said if I can get the dimensions he can make it in no time. Push come to shove I can measure up a spindle when I get it pulled a part. Just trying to eliminate down time of the car.

Before I found out that I had a slip fit spindle I was going to use a 3/4" bolt and washers to clamp the bearings and the spacer/shim together.... I did not have to use it although I have the parts... maybe I should have checked if it works .... still have the bolt/washers/nut on the shelf.... all this is about is that you need to tighten the bearings onto the spacer/shim and measure play... size the shim to get .001-.002" play... a bolt/washers/nut will do IMO.... $5 at the hardware store..... damn, I wish I had tried when I had these bearings apart....

Just thought I would let everyone know I found the dimentions for the tool. While searching over at the other place I stumbled aross an old thread and a guy posted a print of the tool. Hopefully within a week or two I will have my bearing set up tool made.