Top speed runs

I have seen that discussed before. Because someone saw an online speed/gearing calculator and decides if they can get enough gear, the calculator is telling them they can go 300mph!

And they believe it:bonkers:

so how much power are the exotics making they can do 250 or something way faster???

I can beleive the square law....90 hp for 100 mph for conversational sake so 400 hp for 200 would make more sense....but you saying it's maxed out at 600 hp, what rpm the thing turning??

anyone got wind tunnel tests data for say a brick and various wind speeds???

how much lbs force is generated for X mph???

:eek:

a couple of years ago I was driving with a few Lotus and ferrari's on an elevated highway with little to no traffic and a fairly smooth surface. had the vette up to 110mph and the other cars left me in the dust. The problem is the steering at that speed was scary I held the wheel with both hands and it felt like it wanted to wonder. needless to say I backed off and cruised at 90 and never did catch up with the rest.

a couple of years ago I was driving with a few Lotus and ferrari's on an elevated highway with little to no traffic and a fairly smooth surface. had the vette up to 110mph and the other cars left me in the dust. The problem is the steering at that speed was scary I held the wheel with both hands and it felt like it wanted to wonder. needless to say I backed off and cruised at 90 and never did catch up with the rest.

I've done 100MPH. I wouldn't try anything more unless on a track. :sweat:

Do you have any chassis/suspension/steering mods?? if so, what?? :stirpot:

I've done 100MPH. I wouldn't try anything more unless on a track. :sweat:

I was passenger with Doug Johnson of museum 'fame' on the '99 vette cruise, from Jax/florida area we all caravanned up through Nashville and then into BG, one of the stops was to the Atlanta NASCAR track, where they let us all drive on the track.....it was supposed to be speed limited, but true to renegade form, Doug dropped back in the lineup, left about 1/2 mile between him and the cars ahead....no passing was allowed.....so anyway, he get into his 465? hp ZR1, the Lotus motor car....and so we did about 135 something around the high bank oval.....same car we drove up in...he loved to take on the new cars during the trip.....anyway, the ZR1 handled the high bank just fine, we went around that smooth as silk, easy trip, really....car just hung in like glue, funny view though, all we saw was ass fault road surface coming 'down' at us from the sky on account of being at the angle, the way the w/shield was situated, it' ALL we saw....freekey looking....blue sky came back when we came down.....obviously...fun trip, at that time he was a friend of mine, he got me into a crooked business deal in 2001 and right in the middle of the business being open maybe 4 months, he got sick with brain cancer, died 5 months later, and I understand took a whole lot of corvette people for a money loss, none larger than me though.....yet another lesson in Florida business law....there ain't none, screw the books, the judges don't care, and even when winning, the BK judges tossed aside in a phony filing....I got involved in stock trading back then for a couple years, and when 9/11 came around, I had already prepared to toss the towel and file BK myself....that was the final blow to my few bux in any money pile....

been tight going since then.....

sorry I got OT there a bit, just brings back mammories.....

:crutches:

I have seen that discussed before. Because someone saw an online speed/gearing calculator and decides if they can get enough gear, the calculator is telling them they can go 300mph!

And they believe it:bonkers:

Don't you love calculators? HP calculators, dyno simulators, all crap.

FWIW, takes about 900HP.
http://www.fastcoolcars.com/callaway_sledgehammer.htm

Right there that Sledgehammer, which I saw at the Corvette/Carlisle Pa. show years ago....880 hp and 250 mph.....ok....

so my calc/guess is more like being correct than some guy saying 800 hp to do 200 mph.....I know the square law of physics....but I dunno the coefficient of drag on MY car....maybe should be a bit better than a stock chrome shark....but by what %? if any.....I dunno....

and so many guy talk about what ever year, but I dunno anything about the car....total stock from wheels up to?? no way in hell I would go over 120 with any 15" street rubber I know of.....I know MY stopping point.....
the car wants to keep chugging.....

:crutches:

Do you have any chassis/suspension/steering mods?? if so, what?? :stirpot:

Stock set up just newly rebuilt everything. At the time I was running 255/60/15 tires Firestone Firehawks. My thinking is the stock power steering set up is really not the best for high speed driving.

Stock set up just newly rebuilt everything. At the time I was running 255/60/15 tires Firestone Firehawks. My thinking is the stock power steering set up is really not the best for high speed driving.

Actually, I find the opposite true. When tight, it's fine for H/S. But for slower speed autocross type manuvers, it sucks. Too much wheel motion going on.
At higher speeds my concern is brake/traction.

Don't you love calculators? HP calculators, dyno simulators, all crap.

Not IF use CORRECTLY; which is rarely done. I have one that is very good at predicting changes, but you do have to baseline the models against some real world data. It is also very picky about details like intake runner taper, cam specs, and exhaust details. You could never just plug an engine into it and expect an accurate absolute HP number though.

I use simulations at work all the time and I have to even remind the designers/managers to not use the values as absolute numbers, but look at the trends. Everybody always want exact numbers out of models, but its just crap unless you baseline them.

Actually, I find the opposite true. When tight, it's fine for H/S. But for slower speed autocross type manuvers, it sucks. Too much wheel motion going on. At higher speeds my concern is brake/traction.

I agree. My stock steering feels fine on road courses, but I haven't got the guts yet to exceed 125 mph. Most of the time I back off about 115-120mph. I'm trying to not let my ego exceed my capability; I've never even shifted into 5th gear yet on a straight.

i want to know which c3 is the best for areo?

The 80-82 body style has the lowest cd.
Look at the R&T data in the link below. Most of the cars making 400 net hp will do 170-175. Now note that to go 200 (only 25 mph more) you need another 200 hp.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0209_rtSummary.pdf

ok it has the least drag but anyone know which has the best stability at speed? I'm hoping that my 69 will be stable, using a stock body, for 130 in the 1/4

Look at the R&T data in the link below. Most of the cars making 400 net hp will do 170-175. Now note that to go 200 (only 25 mph more) you need another 200 hp.

ok it has the least drag but anyone know which has the best stability at speed? I'm hoping that my 69 will be stable, using a stock body, for 130 in the 1/4
Well, for the most part, the chassis are the same. The only real changes were spring rates, tire size and sway bar diameter. Therefore, with the improved aero of the later models you get better stability. For the short time you will be at 130, it won't be much of a factor.

Well, for the most part, the chassis are the same. The only real changes were spring rates, tire size and sway bar diameter. Therefore, with the improved aero of the later models you get better stability. For the short time you will be at 130, it won't be much of a factor.

thanks.... is there a good looking, cheap, simple mod, that i can do to make it better?

thanks.... is there a good looking, cheap, simple mod, that i can do to make it better?

Drop the front. Lotsa castor.

I've got video of 130 but I've been faster in mine, she's actually pretty stable up there but with the short wheelbase, a crosswind, and a small dip in the road things got kinda hairy. I thought I was going to go into a spin at 115! Since then I don't run her up that high very much, I'd say about 110 to 115 is my limit now.

I still think that the new Zr-1 is capable of 215-220.

:tth: