Suppressed technology

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
A few days ago TT posted a link to all the old Popular Science Magazines. It got me to thinking about technology and energy conservation and why we are so lame about it. It seems that a lot of this technology has been around for decades.
Years ago, after reading a Popular Mechanic's Magazine article on water injection for your car I actually made the thing and installed it on my car. It worked (as long as it wasn't freezing out) and increased my gas mileage as well as cleaning up my exhaust.
My point is that the technology is available, the need has been here for quite some time, but for some reason it gets suppressed. The February 1940 issue of Popular Science had articles about solar heat and solar electric panels and here we are 60 years later just starting to wake up.

Fine, go make your house into a solar panel...got the money???

spend 50 grand to save 150/month.....

and that is IF it's a sunny day.....easier and cheaper to paint the roof white....

which if this crap gets outta hand this winter....I"m going on the roof with chlorox to bleach out all the tree filth, turning the shingles white again...and then paint the backside of the roof bleach white.....to drop the internal attic temps down....

also thinking of putting in two RAC units...already cooled the back of the house with one unit when the central unit went out some years ago....worked fine....

so thinking another RAC unit in the l/r east window will work to cool the rest of the joint.....

total cost about 400 bux, MAX......

should save 600+.....

Gene

Use ceramic white roof paint.

Never heard of it....serious?? I have used Cool White for roof sealing and so its' a super thick latex type compound....but it does pick up black dirt stains form the oak trees all around this hood....

it's a 4-12 pitch so anything ceramic? would be too slick to walk on???

:gurney::search:

Didn't that fool who invented the internet spend some huge amount of money--$250k??-to make his mansion green and energy efficient, only to find out that he used more power the following year?
For the liberals with short memories who don't like to be confused with the facts and want to "have hope and feel good", it was Al Gore.

Didn't that fool who invented the internet spend some huge amount of money--$250k??-to make his mansion green and energy efficient, only to find out that he used more power the following year?
For the liberals with short memories who don't like to be confused with the facts and want to "have hope and feel good", it was Al Gore.

As they say "A fool and his money will soon part".

Gene

Use ceramic white roof paint.

Never heard of it....serious?? I have used Cool White for roof sealing and so its' a super thick latex type compound....but it does pick up black dirt stains form the oak trees all around this hood....

it's a 4-12 pitch so anything ceramic? would be too slick to walk on???

:gurney::search:

They mix ceramic dust or particles in the paint and is supposed to deflect the sun's heat. Similar to the ceramic theory on shuttle re-entry, I guess.

Here is their website. Used to have a lot more info on the site You will have to call about the ceramic paint. He'll make whatever you want.

http://www.allwhite.com/

Put this stuff on a rental house that had white shingles.
I used a thermometer in the attic before and after, dropped the attic temp over 30°. Sun gets really hot down here. Ceramic is good for stucco walls too, can't remember the r value.
This stuff also seals the roofs well. All the neighboring houses lost all their shingles during Wilma, I didn't loose anything, no roof damage at all. Just a folded window awning ripped off and gone.

I put this on my roof tile too.

and that is IF it's a sunny day.....easier and cheaper to paint the roof white....

which if this crap gets outta hand this winter....I"m going on the roof with chlorox to bleach out all the tree filth, turning the shingles white again...and then paint the backside of the roof bleach white.....to drop the internal attic temps down....

also thinking of putting in two RAC units...already cooled the back of the house with one unit when the central unit went out some years ago....worked fine....

so thinking another RAC unit in the l/r east window will work to cool the rest of the joint.....

should save 600+.....

Solar is a good thing. Wouldn't it be nice to reduce pollution, use less oil that can be used for lubricants/etc? Reduce dependance on oil? Create new US industry. I cannot see any negatives in this. The thought alone of F---G the OPEC countries alone gives me a woody.
Edison here in So Cal is covering almost the entire county of Riverside industrial roofs in solar opanels, and paying the cost. Trust me. They don't do anything not cost efficient with a payback. It WILL happen, and sooner than you think. As for cost, remember the first computers/calculators/color tv/cell phone?

should save 600+.....

Solar is a good thing. Wouldn't it be nice to reduce pollution, use less oil that can be used for lubricants/etc? Reduce dependance on oil? Create new US industry. I cannot see any negatives in this. The thought alone of F---G the OPEC countries alone gives me a woody.
Edison here in So Cal is covering almost the entire county of Riverside industrial roofs in solar opanels, and paying the cost. Trust me. They don't do anything not cost efficient with a payback. It WILL happen, and sooner than you think. As for cost, remember the first computers/calculators/color tv/cell phone?

I remember solar panels from back in grade school yet, and certainly would hope they get cheep enough to do me some good, but that layout in many Kbux territory is not do able for the returns.....now for say a grand or so to cut my a/c bill.....but I note one thing, a house just downhill from me had a water heater/exchanger on the roof, but for some reason it was removed and not put back where the roof was done.....stupid move IMO....rental, so who knows??? I think about building one sometimes, easy do, nothing there, really....but these damn tall oak trees dropping branches kinda puts a damper on the idea....:banghead:

should save 600+.....

I remember solar panels from back in grade school yet, and certainly would hope they get cheep enough to do me some good, but that layout in many Kbux territory is not do able for the returns.....now for say a grand or so to cut my a/c bill.....but I note one thing, a house just downhill from me had a water heater/exchanger on the roof, but for some reason it was removed and not put back where the roof was done.....stupid move IMO....rental, so who knows??? I think about building one sometimes, easy do, nothing there, really....but these damn tall oak trees dropping branches kinda puts a damper on the idea....:banghead:

Solar is running about a 10-15 year break even point now. The cost effectiveness will only improve.

should save 600+.....

Solar is running about a 10-15 year break even point now. The cost effectiveness will only improve.

Solar water or electric panels??

must be panels, the water is too easy....:shocking: