soda blasting

js292

Anyone have any experience with it? Eastwood has a 100lb setup for $180 shipped, anyone know of a better deal? And how does it compare to blasting with something like glass beads?

Forget the soda, get alox, those structures are made from thick steel no need to worry about warping or anything.

I beleive the only differennce in the systems is the gun, so it shouldn't be a problem switching between media.

Harbor Freight had the same looking unit on sale for a hundred bucks.
Here it is not on sale. Just a different color???
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95014

Forget soda media. Leave that for your dentist. :harhar:
Too expensive for that anyway.
Check your local concrete company for media, they usually carry an assortment at great prices. Should be able to get 50# for under 10 bucks.

Take the frame to a blaster and have it done. By the time you buy all of the materials, clean up the mess, and shorten your life span, it's just not worth it. 300.00 to have one blasted a primed is a bargain! Unless you have a big compressor there goes another 700.00.

Depending on the size of your property you could just do it outside with regular sand from HomeDepot/Lowes and a $50 portable blaster.... now... you must use a GOOD mask, google "silicosis" before you blast with sand....
I've done it, I blasted wooden patio chairs outside with a handheld blaster ... the sand does not hurt the lawn, the sand removes paint really well and it's gone after a good rain :)

edit: if you can have it done for $300 that's the way to go ... blasting is no fun....

there a many different medias for blasting . sand is not one of them . i use one called green lightning . if you can not find it use dupont starblast. i use type6 acrylic to remove paint and the starblast or green lighnting to remove rust. i switched to the green lightning because it is light in color and does not kill the light in my blast booth. starblast is dark in color . soda leaves a residue and will cause paint failure if not completely removed . i will not take in a job thats been soda blasted. risking paint failure on a 10k job is just not an option . good luck with it.

Starblast is one of the best and a decent price. 3 different grits.

Soda has it's purposes and one is that it is water soluable, so that it can be completely removed very easily, unlike most other media, but on cars that is not always the best option.