Wheel dollies and jackstands ?

MYBAD79

This might be a brainfart but I ask anyways:

I bought a set of four wheel dollies made from 1/4" thick plate, each dolly has four casters to allow rolling the car sideways (or any direction for that matter).

I want to drill holes in the jackstand footers and into the wheel dollies and bolt the jackstands to the dollies so that I can move the car when it's up on the jackstands...

I'll also weld tabs to the jackstands and drill holes into these, then connect the four corners to make it like a body dolly.

Is this going to work or is it a brainfart ? I guess I need to get some pics uploaded to show better what I want to do....:bonkers:

So, you are going to put beams between the 4 dollies so they can't move? If so, that would work.

I have those wheel dollies where you can jack up a car by the wheels and roll it around, we also have a nice deep seam in the concrete floor and when rolling across it one of the dollies flipped around and smashed the fender of that lincoln continental, putting a nice big dent in it.

I'll get the dollies on Friday, I'll post pics ;)

Yes, I'll bolt in beams between the four corners. I want to be able to move the car around when the wheels are off. My garage is too small to work on two cars, no room to walk around the cars.... :cussing:

THAT sounds dangerous as hell, you need a bigger boat.....

the shark's got you......

:hissyfit::crap:

But won't you need 4 large floor jacks to get the car high enough to roll the "body dolly" under the car?

I agree with mrvette.

Sounds a little dangerous.

Good luck with the project! :D

We used to use 2 big floor jacks.

OH, Christ, I had my two large floor jacks under the t arms and jacked the front under the cross support, stands there too, when lowering it, the car somehow lurched backward and slid along the lower section of the arms and caught on the frame, but the stands were up in the air about 1/2 inch on the bases....tilted almost to loosing the vette I had the weight on the front tires by then...:shocking:

I wasn't under it or anything, but it's SO freeking easy to dump a car....

:gurney: I think this is the second time for a almost, and I have dumped one clean off everything once....THAT was fun shituation to correct.....

:ill:

OK, here's a photo of the dollies and the stands (4 each).... at this point I am thinking about simply welding the stand to the dolly and be done with it....:rain:

21494aaa6eaa26c.jpg

All fine and dandy, now weld the frame to the stand and you MAY be ok.....hope you got some mighty slick concrete there and NO ASSFAULT or you in deep shit with it....

makes me nervous as a whore in church.....

:surrender::tomato:

I was thinking about doing something like this a while back for my Jeep. The only good way to do it in my opinion is to have bars that attach them all together. That way they won't tip or kick out. Then the problem is it is really only good for the one vehicle. I really think if you want to be able to roll it around without the wheels you should make a square box frame with 4 heavy caster under it to put under the frame. Something similar to this only long enough to cross ahead of the doors and just in front of the rear tires.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...UCT&iMainCat=619&iSubCat=620&iProductID=15410

Here's what I came up with so far... I want to be able to use the dollies under the wheels and I also want to be able to use the stands without the dollies... therefore it had to be bolted and not welded...

21494acc9bb28d0.jpg

21494acc9c42b34.jpg

Karsten, you hard headed Kraut....please don't use them....

I see nothing but disaster.....:banghead::banghead::gurney:

I almost saw disaster.... then I decided to connect the front two with two flats.... now it's solid like a rock.... I have to work on the two for the rear tomorrow... :smash:

21494aebb9b9120.jpg
21494aebb94652d.jpg

I'm going to connect the front and rear after the rears are built.... that flat material isn't cheap - when I'm done with this it's a $230 car dolly that won't even fit the Vette.... :eek:

Karsten, yes connect fr to rr.....obviously....

but I"m still so paranoid over that shit...just ONE of them wheels has a problem with weight and some hole or obstruction in the pavement, and ths base bends or wheel breaks under the load....

any square support never sits level, it's always canted on a irregular surface and concrete is always THAT if nothing else....

hate to see you hurt or your car botched up man....having damn near lost mine just the other day, and watching how easy them stands just like yours had no trouble tipping almost over totally in just the rear....

I dunno man, I just dont' like it.....:ill:

Gene, the concrete in my garage is in very good shape, smooth and pretty much level.....no bumps, no holes.... the Ghia weighs only 1600lbs stripped down as it is right now.... engine is in the back, figure 1000lbs on the two rear dollies, 600lbs on the front....

still... better safe than sorry... I'll brace the whole thing so it's safe... I usually overdesign stuff :drink:

By the time you connect all of the dollys, how are you going to be able to work under it. It just looks like an accident that hasn't happened yet.

Be carefull!

By the time you connect all of the dollys, how are you going to be able to work under it. It just looks like an accident that hasn't happened yet.

Be carefull!

I was waiting for somebody to ask this question :D

I want to be able move the car inside a 2car garage so I can paint it, that's pretty much it. I'm not going to squeeze my a$$ under there, think I'm stupid ?? :lol::lol:
:D:D