A lust for new wheels

guru

So lets say I wanted to do something crazy like put 275/40-18s on all 4 corners?

that would be an 18x9.5" rim. Is there anybody who has put that kind of rubber under their car on all 4 corners without flares?

I was thinking about getting a cheap pair of c5 rear wheel and 2 tire and various size wheel adapters and look for rubbing.

Then once I found out all the offsets and such that I needed order some custom torque thrust 2s or something lame like that.

I love the rally wheels on your car, why violate it with that sized rims?

The options for high performance street tires are nearly zero. I mean I could get varying flavors 245/60-15s in race rubber but one can get good sticky street tires in other sizes.

If I were to choose a new size that I know will work would be 255/50-16. they are only 26.2" tall and I think I can even get 16" ralleys.
Yep you can pretty cheap too.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...755960+4294795098+4294795099+115&autoview=sku

Exactly the reason I went to 17's. Poor options in 15's. I've got the 17x9's with 4.5 backspace on the front and 4" BS (rear) I think if you tucked the backspace a little they might fit with no flares. I was worried (didn't have to as it turned out) about a 4.5 BS on the rear hitting/rubbing on stock T/A's and park brake cable brackets, along with the other things I'd read on the forums. Even the spring and sway bar is INSIDE the diameter of the wheel. If it rubs, somethng is broken.

Goodyear eagle GSD3s in the 255/45-18 are available. Arent too many better handling non-race tires out there.
They are 27" tall like OE.

Pirelli with their corsa system offers the 255/40-19 race tires.

Last edited:
GURU, 16 years ago upon selling my '87 with 16" rims, and buying this '72 with 15x8 rims, I found the tires were EASY the most lacking aspect, so the first things changed was the entire suspension, everything new and updated....then to the tires....17x9.5 '92 vette rims, because they were cheep and tires were affordable....one thing to go 18" rims and then another to buy the friggin' tires....I begrudge every damn dollar above 100/tire for tires.....
don't matter what size it is.....

talking about a street machine now, not some race car queen.....

BTW, I have a decent unbent set of '92 vette rims for sale now....

as I just switched to '89 vette rims, same size, on account of the style/looks...

no other reason....you will need 2.5 inch VBP adapters for a shark though....

make me a offer I can't refuse....email me if interested....

I putting them on local Craigslist soon....

:bestwishes:

I cant find a tire that will do what I need it to do on 17x9.5 sorry man.

No sweat....Nitto 275/50/17 10" in rear and BFG scorcher t/a in front 255/50/17......about 9".....

rims not worth shipping anyway....

:lol:

I have kumho 255/45-18" on the rear and 235/40-18" on the front. 18"x8", 4" BS rims all four corners. I like the looks and they handle pretty good and are real quiet.

If you're running 15" wheels right now, you will be very happy with 17" wheels. Those tires are way better than the 15" stuff from the 80's.... if your wallet allows 18" go for it, 17" tires are more than sufficient for aggressive street driving, 255-50 and 275-50 would be my choice, 8x17 front, 9.5x17 rear.... for me out of question because of my flares... if I buy new wheels it's going to be like 12x18 or something like that .... not anytime soon $$$$

You guys wanna be bad asses going to 17 or 18 rims but then put skinny wimpy ass 255/50 tires on? That's too much sidewall....looks like a tractor tire on big rims.

That ain't gonna corner with the new cars. Not by a longshot.

These 275/40/17s are even too skinny.
40483ad2e81bf9b.jpg

tires are one thing where wider is always better.

Last edited:
The original poster asked about 18x9.5" rims under stock fenders, no flares.

17" rims with 255 and 275 tires is a significant improvement over the stock 15" tires, performance as well as tire choice.

Anything less than a 50's sidewall forces you to lower the car or it will look like a 4x4....

If you want the C3 to corner like a new car it takes more than rims/tires....