Throttle cable question

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
The Crossfire in my 82 is long gone but I still have the humungous throttle cable that is long enough to go from the firewall to the front of the block and almost back to the firewall again! I'm running an Edelbrock carb, can I just replace my existing throttle cable with a 75-81 cable?

not that there is a Chevy/GM dealer where you are but some of those cables are still available from GM.........................redvetracr

Dunno if they're "dealers" as such, but there's shops that stock GM parts. Generally though, they only have parts going back a few years and, as with anything else I've asked for, as soon as I say "82 Corvette" they say "no" without even looking.

That's alright though, I like the look of the cable you posted TT. Does it go in without much messing around?

Yes, really easy, remove the cable from the liner, then remove the alu nut from the end of the outer braid, slide over one of the washers, then inside the car the second washer slides over and tighten the nut. Now lay out the route you want your cable to go, make it so the bends are not too great and cut the braid at the desired length, put some tape or some shrink wrap on the cut off end to resist fraying and then slide over the metal sleeve that's already on the braid, then push the black plastic end with the locking tangs for the square throttle cable hole on the end, insert into the stock bracket

Now feed the cable into the other black plastic gizmo from the larger diameter end, that's the piece that hooks into the throttle pedal hole, feed all the way through making sure it's engaged into the end of the throttle pedal, cut the cable to length, you can be a bit off as the clevis (there are 2 in the kit, pick the style you need) that goes on next has some adjustment in it. secure the cable in the clevis with the small set screw, install the throttle lever stud on your carb/ TB if not present already, slide over, cotter pin in, eh presto you have a throttle cable

The Crossfire in my 82 is long gone but I still have the humungous throttle cable that is long enough to go from the firewall to the front of the block and almost back to the firewall again! I'm running an Edelbrock carb, can I just replace my existing throttle cable with a 75-81 cable?

I need to rehash this question sorry. I bought that cable you told me about TT, but I broke the damn thing. As I was tightening up the firewall nuts, I didn't realise the inside washer was half sitting over a bracket on the firewall and as I pulled it up tight, the alloy thread tore/cracked! Not happy, but shit happens.

I've since bought a stock 75-81 cable which fits ok, although the 'S' bend I've had to put in the cable to make it line up with the mounting bracket and the hole in the firewall, is more drastic than I thought it would be. The cable runs smoothly though. However (sorry for no pic) at the carb end of the cable, and attached TO the cable, is an outer plastic piece that is several inches long and ultimately slides back over the rest of the outer cable covering when the gas pedal is pressed. It sits far enough forward that there's a little gap between the end of the cable outer covering and this outer plastic piece and when the pedal is pressed, the outer piece can catch on the end of the cable outer covering.

Can I cut this piece off? I assume it's only there to stop dirt and crap getting on the throttle cable but the trans cable is right beside it and it doesn't have anything protecting the exposed cable.

Does this plastic piece somehow attach the cable to the cable end?