Tap and die set.....

MYBAD79

Had a look at Sear's website. They don't tell you any details about the tap and die sets they have, just a photo.... am I supposed to guess what sizes are in these sets ? they only tell you if it's metric or standard or both.... 78 pc tap and die set for example - what sizes ???

Anyways.... I need a set of "reasonable" quality, maybe $100 or so.... they offer lifetime warranty on craftsman tools so that's probably the best deal....

I looked at McMaster's website but they want $500 +

:rain:

There are several sets on Ebay for under $15 :suicide:

I have the standard set. #6 to 1/2", uss and SAE. Maybe 38 pieces or so.

Karsten, unless you mike those things really good, and have a thread gauge to measure that also....

Stay the FUCK AWAY from China crap......Jap maybe ok, German probably fine.....USA is good ......

and don't ask how I know this ....please.....

:shocking::shocking::shocking::hissyfit::hissyfit::crap:

I had to tap some 5/16-24 threads the other day and all I could find is a Craftsman tap that looked beat to shit. Worked fine, it was a little dull but cut a clean hole. The key to tapping is Tap-Ease (oil) and clearing chips by backing the tap up every turn or so.

I had to tap some 5/16-24 threads the other day and all I could find is a Craftsman tap that looked beat to shit. Worked fine, it was a little dull but cut a clean hole. The key to tapping is Tap-Ease (oil) and clearing chips by backing the tap up every turn or so.

and GOD help me if tapping freeking ALUMINUM....better to go hire someone....

damn mother sucking illegitimate POS damn 1/2 assed metal....

can't even weld that finickey shit without hell being paid.....

:bonkers:

Tapping some grades of aluminum is next to impossible. Tapping 6061-T6 is cake!

Had a look at Sear's website. They don't tell you any details about the tap and die sets they have, just a photo.... am I supposed to guess what sizes are in these sets ? they only tell you if it's metric or standard or both.... 78 pc tap and die set for example - what sizes ???

Anyways.... I need a set of "reasonable" quality, maybe $100 or so.... they offer lifetime warranty on craftsman tools so that's probably the best deal....
:

I have a Sears/Craftsman 1/4" to 1/2" set it`s served me well for well over 20 years

Karsten, unless you mike those things really good, and have a thread gauge to measure that also....

Stay the FUCK AWAY from China crap......Jap maybe ok, German probably fine.....USA is good ......

and don't ask how I know this ....please.....

:shocking::shocking::shocking::hissyfit::hissyfit::crap:

Gene, next time try this type of tap. Spiral Flute Taps— when tapping blind holes, deep holes, and holes with a keyway or gap, the spiral flute pulls chips up and out of the hole. Ideal for tapping soft materials. Works great in Alum. Also use a lubricant like kerosene or left over antifreeze instead of oil.

Danny

i bought the sears set and it is pretty good quality, i also bought there thread chasing kit which was SAE and Metric combined in a red plastic case and i use that thing all the time.....without a doubt if i had to purchase just one it would be the thread chasing kit. i wish i had bought one years ago

Got a craftsman set, had it for years, still good, just use good tapping oil and you'll be fine. On aluminum oil clogs everything up, I use a kerosene/light machine oil mix

Gene, next time try this type of tap. Spiral Flute Taps— when tapping blind holes, deep holes, and holes with a keyway or gap, the spiral flute pulls chips up and out of the hole. Ideal for tapping soft materials. Works great in Alum. Also use a lubricant like kerosene or left over antifreeze instead of oil.

Danny

Now he has to save SOME of it.:lol::lol::lol: