new motor breakin oil?

I changed the oil after the break in, then again after 300 miles or so. I have only 700 miles on the new engine and plan on using synthetic after 1000 miles...

For break in I used cheap 10W30

Hey TT, what the story about them taking some chemical addiitves outta oil these days, that wipes flat tappet cams??? lots of guy recommend Shell Rotella oil as a result....

I not been concerned for years now, as even I have roller cams.....

:huh:

They're talking about zinc. it's the high load barrier protection and the flat tappets rely on it. However, recent studies have shown that there's more to the story and it's made out to be more of a problem than it really is. Another sales pitch probably. The best thing to do is search the actual sheet for your oil to see what the contents really are.

Rotella is a diesel oil, it ha a higher zinc content than most std. oils.

Royal Purple..didn't they have that silly wear test??.....or was it Amsoil???, I don't know...somehow they rub me the wrong way. Aggressive advertising, they are plugging their stuff everywhere, making it out to be a miracle oil. And then that silly 2 ball wear test, you show me an engine that has components wearing/interacting with each other like that and I will buy royal purple. That whole test is just a load of BS, it doesn't represent anything that would have just the slightest correlation with internal engine components. That's just like saying our oil is the best because it tastes like bananas, the rest tastes like oil... so what? BFD!!!

Well on second thought a broken roller lifter spinning sideways and digging into the cam may be kind of what that test represents, so in that case, be advised that with royal purple it will still dig in, but at a slower rate.....wooptiedoo!!!

That's just like saying our oil is the best because it tastes like bananas, the rest tastes like oil... so what? BFD!!!

WHAT! I just bought 20 cases of that secret banana oil:hissyfit:

I think your right. My brother works for Castrol and he sent the article (that was making the rounds a few years ago) to the lab guys at Castrol. They told him it was a crock.

And they may want to sell it, so now, with every new comp cam, you will probably void warranty if you don't buy their super secret additive. They should call it subtractive, because it doesn't add money to your wallet.

I think I try this new additiv. It doesn't hurt to add some of the additives that they have to remove because of stricter standards or because it is not good for the catalytic converter.
Maybe I am paranoid but I want my engine to last another 30 years. It cannot hurt or am I wrong ?

Royal Purple..didn't they have that silly wear test??.....or was it Amsoil???, I don't know...somehow they rub me the wrong way. Aggressive advertising, they are plugging their stuff everywhere, making it out to be a miracle oil. And then that silly 2 ball wear test, you show me an engine that has components wearing/interacting with each other like that and I will buy royal purple. That whole test is just a load of BS, it doesn't represent anything that would have just the slightest correlation with internal engine components. That's just like saying our oil is the best because it tastes like bananas, the rest tastes like oil... so what? BFD!!!

Well on second thought a broken roller lifter spinning sideways and digging into the cam may be kind of what that test represents, so in that case, be advised that with royal purple it will still dig in, but at a slower rate.....wooptiedoo!!!

And they may want to sell it, so now, with every new comp cam, you will probably void warranty if you don't buy their super secret additive. They should call it subtractive, because it doesn't add money to your wallet.

I love how you think. I got in trouble on some other forums for thinking this way, nice to see it's accepted and encouraged here!!!

Never take marketing bullshit at face value.

I think Arthur is on the right track: aren't these companies forced to remove or eliminate additives that harm the environment or f. e. the converter ???
Some companies sell so called "racing oil" and on the label it says that it's for off road use only... wonder why...???

So if additives cannot legally be added to the oil, there seems to be a huge market for oil additives that are "for off road use only"...

I Have about 3000 miles on my 383. It has just now stopped consuming oil. Should I stick with dino oil or switch to synthetic at this time?

If you don't switch now, you won't be able to. It will start leaking on the switch if you wait too long. The synthetic is thinner and goes through the seals if worn in by dino.

I Have about 3000 miles on my 383. It has just now stopped consuming oil. Should I stick with dino oil or switch to synthetic at this time?

JUst stick to Dino with Zinc. No harm, no foul. I see ZERO advantage to so called "synthetic" oil.

I think Arthur is on the right track: aren't these companies forced to remove or eliminate additives that harm the environment or f. e. the converter ???
Some companies sell so called "racing oil" and on the label it says that it's for off road use only... wonder why...???

So if additives cannot legally be added to the oil, there seems to be a huge market for oil additives that are "for off road use only"...

Racing oil has more Zinc than allowed by EPA.

Here is my take:

Oil has zinc for shear, and everyones happy.
Automakers install cats to meet EPA standards.
Automakers notice Zinc kills cats.
Feds mandate mandatory cat warranty to 100,000 miles.
Automakers beg oil companies to reduce Zinc to prevent cat warranty issues.
Oil companies say okay, watch out.
Automakers switch to roller cams in meantime.

Racing oil has more Zinc than allowed by EPA.

So what if someone had no cats?