PDA

View Full Version : Please help stupit

cajos1968
12-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Okay, I want to remove my front brake hose but the it keeps bending with every turn of the wrench. What am I doing wrong?

Twin_Turbo
12-14-2008, 08:46 PM
You need to remove the topside first (from the hard line)

cajos1968
12-14-2008, 09:00 PM
How? I only see the hose connector, not an additional nut. Do I use a pair of pliers?

Twin_Turbo
12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
The tab on the frame has a star shaped serrated hole, the end of the hose goes through it and then a clip slides on to keep it in place. The hard line has a flare nut that threads into the hose end that is secured in the frame tab with a clip.

mrvette
12-14-2008, 10:46 PM
The tab on the frame has a star shaped serrated hole, the end of the hose goes through it and then a clip slides on to keep it in place. The hard line has a flare nut that threads into the hose end that is secured in the frame tab with a clip.

TT, U R correct but the trick is that the flare nut on the line is not releasing the line and so it twists and collapses with the nut....while the hose is secured in the frame.....what I do is UNsecure the hose...pull the clip, pull the hose lower, and then turn the already loose hose....get the thing off there, and then fight the nut loose from the steel line on the car....

yet another reason I hate hydroscopic Dot3-4 fluids....

:hissyfit::hissyfit::smash:

JPhil
12-15-2008, 02:10 AM
Yup, I agree with what Gene said. That's how I had to get mine apart.

big2bird
12-15-2008, 02:14 AM
I have had to do that also/even/too.

Twin_Turbo
12-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Yea, if the hard line is pretty rusted and the flare nut won't go, just cut the hose and do it like gene said

mrvette
12-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeh, I have even had to do CARBS like that....unmount the Qjet and bend the line up in the air a tad, then unscrew the carb.....then work the stupid fuel line nut loose on the line......

honestly I only did that a few times.....mostly I would just get pissed and cut the freeking line, and use a piece of fuel line hose.....4 psi wasn't going anywhere, and never had a leaky hose.....

everyone has this fixation over fuel hoses, but in fact they are all over a car....

even on the pressure side...no majic to them.....I have 3/8 Erol's rubber hose with double injection clamps on the supply...hose rated to 250 psi....

:smash::thumbs:

cajos1968
12-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Solved the issue, bought myself new Goodridge SS lines.
I know they are only hoses but what a quality, excellent. Braided with silicon cover. Guaranteed forever

[Only registered and activated users can see links]

mrvette
12-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Damit man, wish I knew of them when doing my hoses a few years ago....

what you pay for them??? where you get them???

nice looking stuff there, looks good enough for aircraft....

:drink:

cajos1968
12-18-2008, 09:07 PM
about 120 USD ex shipping. Worth every penny, even have 4 extra fittings.

Fuelie74
12-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Wow thats almost double what they get for a set of braided lines most places. What make them worth that much more?

cajos1968
12-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Don't know but they look stunning. I wished all aftermarket/upgrade parts where this build quality. Besides 19% tax, and "corvette" on the packaging ;-)

mrvette
12-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Don't know but they look stunning. I wished all aftermarket/upgrade parts where this build quality. Besides 19% tax, and "corvette" on the packaging ;-)

If it said Porsche' on it, wonder if it would have been cheeper..???

:nuts:

cajos1968
12-19-2008, 06:52 AM
The old once would probably last!

mrvette
12-19-2008, 09:34 AM
The old once would probably last!

AH Yes, of course, made from famous German compound called Unobtanium....

:yahoo:

cajos1968
12-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Yes the stuff where a flux capacitor is made of!! ;-) I hate Porsche's, the back always make me think about a dog taking a shit

SmokinBBC
12-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes the stuff where a flux capacitor is made of!! ;-) I hate Porsche's, the back always make me think about a dog taking a shit

LMAO:rofl::lol::lol::rofl:

Twin_Turbo
12-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Wow thats almost double what they get for a set of braided lines most places. What make them worth that much more?

Super special Dutch tax, Goodridge is also located in Delft NL, these probably come from them. Xander has 2!!! yes 2!!! hoses from the C5 MC to the distribution block. They are M12x1,5 & M12x1 to the UNF threads on that block. They cost a whopping 100 euros, a good 130$. Goodridge is really expensive, but that's not because of them. Everything is expensive here because it's a niche market. Over yonder everyone and his brother orders car parts, not so here.

cajos1968
12-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Made some progress today. I just cut the brake line removed the upper arm, bushings (fairly simple) and power coated it!

This is my first actual corvette part to be powder coated.

I'm fairly happy with the result, but see points to improve.

Seem to have missed a spot!!

Can I just coat it again?

Fuelie74
12-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes you can recoat it. It is best if you heat it before recoating and just leave it sit in the oven till your ready so you don't get anything on it. You will want to respray them hot though.

I have brackets made for powder coating that clamp to my racks. I made them out of 3/8 fender washers, bolts, and rod. That way the part stays put with no swinging. I have had the best luck bringing the part up to 350F or 400F then remove the rack from the oven and set it on some saw horses to spray. Then I put it back in to cure. Repeat for second coat if wanted. I found that by spraying hot it allows me to put it on a little heavier if wanted, it gets less orange peal, and I miss less spots. Here is a couple picture of how I hang mine.

[Only registered and activated users can see links] ([Only registered and activated users can see links])[Only registered and activated users can see links] ([Only registered and activated users can see links])[Only registered and activated users can see links] ([Only registered and activated users can see links])

cajos1968
12-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Smart set up.