Paint Respirator

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Any recommendations on a good paint respirator? I was looking for a 3M mask and noticed that some have non-replaceable filters. Looked on 3M's site and cant find anything other than medical masks.

I purchased a 3m mask at the local automotive paint store,you don't replace the filters,just throw it away after you have so many hours on it,or it gets hard to breath in. The bag has time limits written on it.

Thanks. Don't know why I thought the filters were replaceable.

Next issue, I see they come in small, medium and large. How do I find out what size my face is:confused2:

Well i don't know :crap: i went to the garage and got mine and found nothing on the bag about how to determine the size that is needed,i am using the Medium and it fits just fine. I'm not a small guy 6'1" 245lb's. They do have adjustments on them,i would suggest trying the medium.

Two things- Make for certain the filter is for whatever you plan to use it for. Be kind of bad to have a filter for dust and need it to clean up organics. Second is to make sure it fits correctly. Put it on and cover the inlet/outlet and blow. Should force it off your face. Make sure it dosen't leak.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: Most respirators don't work with facial hair !!! You'll be sucking the fumes right by your beard...