Modding Question....sleeper or animal?

Jsup

My goal is to keep the car looking stock. Parked in a lot, should look the way it looked when it rolled off the assembly line.

So yesterday..my friend says to me.....if you're going to race someone, don't start the car first.

Here's how the car sounds:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw-PnNu7hXo[/ame]

And, it's LOUD.

I have a power effects exhaust. As you can see it's loud and although looks stock, clearly doesn't sound it.

What do you think? Should I put different mufflers on it and quite it down? Or leave it the way it is?

Last edited:
MY largest issue with hotrod exhaust is the resonance....and honestly anything less than a factory muffler system is SO loud at 1800 rpm, I can't stand it....H pipe, X pipe....that resonance knocks me outta the car....

lemme know what you think as your project continues....

if you can nail 1800 rpm noise peak and keep a nice lo rumble...I want to hear....

The resonance doesn't seem too bad, and in the cockpit you can actually carry on a conversation.

Not to say I can use a cell phone or anything, but if we were in the car we could talk.

The resonance doesn't seem too bad, and in the cockpit you can actually carry on a conversation.

Not to say I can use a cell phone or anything, but if we were in the car we could talk.

If you were in the car with Gene, you could hear him but you would still be saying:

"What the hell did you just say?":rofl:

Thats only a "sleeper" if the guy next to you is deaf:bump:

Sounds great!

Well, that's the issue, I'm wondering if I should I get "real" mufflers. The Power Effects are practically straight through.

I like the sound, don't get me wrong...but the wife is bitching, not that I care, but if someone made an offer with the car parked...

If you were in the car with Gene, you could hear him but you would still be saying:

256948180_41f65fca69.jpg

EH?? can U here me NOW???

I think that car in the vid is a vert....hard to tell, so I dunno really how it sounds as my '87 was bone stock on the exhaust....

but to talk on any cphone in a vert while in motion is a bit of a feat, even setting still at a light.....

I had to pull into a burger joint and kill the engine on account of a call just the other day....CHS is just that....

be nice to maybe have one of them blu tooth devices like wife's son in law has....but he drives a fresh pickup and windows up...so not a issue....

the rumble above is certainly nice....but how bad it is at 1800 rpm and pulling???

Maybe my age is showing, but I like them toned down. Mufflers such as Magnaflow are light years ahead of when I was a kid.
Race car, it's fine. Street, it's just looking for a ticket, and annoying on longer trips.
In short, it's whatever YOU want, not us.

All the old farts are showing their age again LOL. That's how a car is supposed to sound! I like it a lot :thumbs:

Maybe my age is showing, but I like them toned down. Mufflers such as Magnaflow are light years ahead of when I was a kid.
Race car, it's fine. Street, it's just looking for a ticket, and annoying on longer trips.

Just taking the pulse of what people like. It's a coupe I drive on sunny dry days.

Jeff, as you know, this is a depression point for me, not getting out there a year ago, and going to Mag.....

but for a car like my '72 with a 2.5 inch system and H after the tranny, headers....what is YOUR opinion on how a Mag system should sound, compared to stock....which I have now....

thing that is so discouraging is the rest of the traffic...

Sounds like a HOT ROD :thumbs: i wouldn't change a thing.

I can't here a dang thing inside my car,except for the motor and thats the way i like it.

OLD FARTS????? Who wants throbing ear drums after six hours behind the wheel?? Stock engine and loud anoying mufflers, yes one day you too will be A OLD SHRIVELED FART.

Jeff, as you know, this is a depression point for me, not getting out there a year ago, and going to Mag.....

but for a car like my '72 with a 2.5 inch system and H after the tranny, headers....what is YOUR opinion on how a Mag system should sound, compared to stock....which I have now....

The Magnaflows sound very much like stock to me. Maybe a tad louder. I consider the 81 quiet.

The Magnaflows sound very much like stock to me. Maybe a tad louder. I consider the 81 quiet.

Yeh, that's the whole thing, the '81 has that cat ass trophic on there, or Kalifornia would gig your ass, so that right there is what I have with NO muffs on my work truck...loud and out the side, but it's cheep....

so the differance would be a lot between your car and mine.....you know anyone with Mags and a true dual 350 engine anything????

:gurney:

so the differance would be a lot between your car and mine.....you know anyone with Mags and a true dual 350 engine anything????

:gurney:

I have Magnaflows on my 70 BB...one of these days I'm going to get a camcorder and take sound bites.:lol:

Nah, leave it as it is, it sounds sweet.

Because there's basically no laws about noise out here and I won't be driving long distances, I plan to get the loudest damn exhaust I can! Then, when I get it back home, be sensible about it, act my age and get a quieter system :lol:

These are magnaflow stainless 3" mufflers on a Coronet, they are extremely loud :)

[ame]http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=8897695044614668835&hl=nl[/ame]