Fuel Pressure Regulator for Carb w/ Electric Pump?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
If you run a low pressure electric fuel pump on a car with a carburetor, do you need a fuel pressure regulator? Also, is the pump dead headed into the regulator with no return (of excess pressure/fuel).

I know Lars uses a return style reg set at 4 lbs. Quads like 4 lbs, and the return style eliminates vapor lock.

Larry, get a return style regulator, the recirculation will give you cool gas and burp out any vapors. Use a quality regulator. I use only the aeromotive regulators, they are excellent quality.

Larry, get a return style regulator, the recirculation will give you cool gas and burp out any vapors. Use a quality regulator. I use only the automotive regulators, they are excellent quality.

I'm not doing this setup. I was asking because I talked to a guy a while back that had a Holley regulator between an inline pump and the carb with no return.

Didn't seem like a good idea to dead head the pump and churn fuel.

Larry, get a return style regulator, the recirculation will give you cool gas and burp out any vapors. Use a quality regulator. I use only the automotive regulators, they are excellent quality.

I'm not doing this setup. I was asking because I talked to a guy a while back that had a Holley regulator between an inline pump and the carb with no return.

Didn't seem like a good idea to dead head the pump and churn fuel.

OK, I have run CARTER inline, no return pumps for decades on CARTER carbs and unknown 2bbl's like on my '85 Dodge van 318 here now....the carbs are happy.....I HEAR Holley carbs are also....

but I can assure you a deadhead regulator with no return will work on a Q jet, as the pump WILL overpower the float and flood hell outta everything in site without said regulator.........

AS I remember numbers...the Q was only good for some 4 lbs pressure...and the Carter/Holley? good for about 6-8 pis on it.....