How to Replace Mirror on a C5

gr8vet

I ask around a couple of months ago and did not really find much info. I finally got around to replacing the mirror today. Thought I would share how and what I did.

After searching everywhere for a replacement mirror I finally found just the mirror glass at Ecklers, $80 delivered.

To start:

Pull on the outer edge (outboard) of glass until glass pops away from plastic inserts

I pulled one of the adjustment legs with the glass, just popped it out from the mirror back and back into the drive motor.

Unplug the wires, If heated or turn signal.

To reinstall replacement:

Turn the ears on the adjustment posts on the drive unit to proper orientation. For this unit it was vertical on top and horizontal on lower outboard side.

Put on a leather glove just in case.

Align the mirror to meet up with the center mount, push hard to center of mirror. I had to apply an unbelievable amount of force to get it to pop in.

Once in, push in on the top of the glass to get the adjustment post to click in, same on outboard side. You will here the drive posts ratchet as you push in, I just pushed until they bottomed out and then felt it click in.

That was it.

Notes: As shown, my original went bad after 4 years. I searched for a replacement for over a year. The entire unit is available for $275 from GM. Ecklers had a tape on replacement for $30 at one time, but no longer. Ecklers did not have any type of replacement for months. Got a free shipping coupon via email which drove me to their site and viola, they had one in stock, broke down and blew the $80. This unit did not have the turn signal in it. (did not even know my car had those anyway, never noticed them light up). This unit did not make or take advantage of the metal supports (shown in pics) to help hold mirror in place. Guess we will see if this becomes an issue down the road.

Best!
tt

Attachments

• IMG_1847_1.JPG
    IMG_1847_1.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1849_2.JPG
    IMG_1849_2.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1852_5.JPG
    IMG_1852_5.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 3