used brake pads ??

MYBAD79

I saw a set of used brake pads for sale on another forum. Anybody have experience with used pads ? Would you buy used pads ??

I have no experience with someone else's used pads. I have, on occasion, cleaned up a set of my own with some friction paper and a nice flat surface.

If I came across a free set of nice, thick used pads in a compound I wanted to try I would not be afraid to true them up and give them a shot.

Rich:beer:

I saw a set of used brake pads for sale on another forum. Anybody have experience with used pads ? Would you buy used pads ??

I fail to see as to why bother??? new ones are like less than 20 bux at a parts house.....for decent enough street pads that is....

racing is another story,.....:clobbered:

Jeff has a good point, those 50+ year old cars may be hard to find parts for. I have a friend who found a real barn full of antique car parts. He brought some to a local swap meet that I saw him at. He had Ford T & A parts new in the original boxes! He also said there were plenty of good used parts but the owner lost track of what was what and he was just going to scrap a lot of them. No vette parts though,only antique cars.

I agree with what Rich and Bird said - if they were something unusual that I wanted to try, or real hard to get, then I'd probably try them.

But like Gene said, they're only a few bob for decent street pads. When I first bought overhauled calipers, they were lip seal type and when I pulled the car off the road to do the front end, one front and one rear caliper eventually leaked and the pads on those wheels got very wet. There weren't many k's on them before I pulled the car off the road but when I overhaled the calipers myself and converted them to 'O' ring, I bought new pads for all 4 wheels.

Just my 2c...