New motor, new trans, very nervous.

Jsup

Not sure where this would go, so I put it here.

My motor was done, we are in the midst of tuning when my trans blew.

I got the car back yesterday with the new trans in it.

I took the car out last night and I was doing 68 MPH. I put the pedal down and the tires went loose and the ass went sideways.

I'm not even done with the tune, and I can't keep the back wheels planted, at any speed, actually makes me a bit nervous. The second it downshifts, the tires break.

When the tune is done, it's only going to get worse. The motor buzzes up like a two cycle weed wacker when the tires let go.

Is this typical? I have no idea what kind of power we're talking, as the tune isn't done and there's no dyno number yet.

The tires are BFGs about 3 years old with less than 5000 miles.

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
John, I don't recall your saying a 700 or a 200 4r tranny...

or the rear gear ratio....I know the engine is stout enough....

even my silly 355 barely doing 400 hp if that, can break loose in the correct gear with 336 rear gears....

so you have to feather the throttle....:devil::devil::bounce::banned:

It's a 700R with a 3.07 rear. Clearly I don't need any more rear.

OK, how do I solve the problem

If I can get C5 brakes under my rims, I'll buy some MT ETs Drag Radials.

What else can I do?

Maybe check your camber settings?

Good point. What do you know about the condition of the raer and front suspension?

If the engine is THAT hot, you may just have to learn how to handle it. I know form driving Johns blown C-5, the rears will break loose in a NY Minute.

Is it a stock rear end? What year is it?

Yes, stock rear, D36, I have a D44 coming in April. D36 is a 3.07, the D44 is a 3.07. I don't think I need a taller gear in there.

The reason I suggested camber settings is because, if they are not correct, you could get pretty squirrelly on hard acceleration.

Yes, stock rear, D36, I have a D44 coming in April. D36 is a 3.07, the D44 is a 3.07. I don't think I need a taller gear in there.

Can the stock rear handle that kind of power and abuse?

We'll see :yahoo: It has to. I'm not going to be driving the car much, and I'm not going to beat the shit out of it. The guy I'm buying the D44 from, needs my D36, so I'm not going to ruin it on him.

AFTER the D44 goes in, like I said, not much use in the winter other than just tuning, I will get the MT ETs..

I'd LOVE to have 50% more power, just don't wanna pay the gas....:gurney:

BTW, Bird, the phrase is NY SECOND.....gotta keep up wit' de' times man.....

:gurney::banghead:

I'd LOVE to have 50% more power, just don't wanna pay the gas....:gurney:

BTW, Bird, the phrase is NY SECOND.....gotta keep up wit' de' times man.....

:gurney::banghead:

Sorry Gene - But I must disagree - it is a NYC Second, the rest of NY, especially upstate is much slower.... I grew up in NYC.

Can the stock rear handle that kind of power and abuse?

We'll see :yahoo: It has to. I'm not going to be driving the car much, and I'm not going to beat the shit out of it. The guy I'm buying the D44 from, needs my D36, so I'm not going to ruin it on him.

AFTER the D44 goes in, like I said, not much use in the winter other than just tuning, I will get the MT ETs..

NJ Tpk. 38 degrees, who knows what kind of oil spill crap all over the Tpk. and 3 yr. old BFG's? I agree, get some stickier meats and learn how to ease into the loud pedal.

A change in wheels and tires maybe. Will a set of knock off ZR1 wheels (the C4 ZR1) fit a regular 1990? I dont know. Then get a good set of Goodyear eagle GSD3s with 275 in the front and 315 in the rear.