Support on jackstands

Arthur Brown

I will be replacing the brakes and brake lines on my '78 C3. I have a two car garage and many tools. What I do not have is set of four jackstands, any recommendation where to buy?
Where is the best place to place these under the frame ? Should I place two more under the front to support the front?
The front is so long and the engine is heavy.
How tall should these stands be ?

Last edited:
I have about 3 sets of stands. I like the wide base ones for added support. they're probably all imported now, I have used those as well. I like to put a jack on the side I'm under for added insurance. You can buy them just about anywhere, local swap meets may be best as you may find some older USA made ones for little money.
Be sure they are solid on the frame and I crack open the hood,doors and tops when jacking to help with flex. I had my 72 on stands for 7 years, pulled the drivetrain,suspensions, and intererior out while on stands. It was tricky getting the car off the grd 24" but we did it. I wish I had room for a lift or my kwik lift was free to use again.

SEVEN YEARS??? What, you have to use a torch to cut the rust between the frame and the stands..???:shocking:

but yes, those China made stands from most parts houses for about 25 bux/set are just fine....mine are anyway.....got the lever on the side, and a gear rack latch on the iron center support.....I stick them just aft of the front sway bar, then under the rear pivot point on the frame....if you pulling the wheels in back, I sometimes use them under the axels/on the rotors....if they are tightened back down snug....

:beer:

Like above the ones with the wide bases are best.

Harbor Freight has some good 12 ton stands that are really safe. I think around 75 bucks a pair.

What ever set you wind up buying just make sure to use them,don't chance it man,the end result is not worth it if the jack gives out and you did not put any stands under the car.
I lost a cousin earlier this year because he decided not to use any stands.