Seat advice?

agent20x

Its time to do the upholstery on my seats (well I'm guessing it has been for about 15 years), and I am trying to decide which way to go with things. I was thinking about using 100% leather seat covers, but apparently they don't last as long. Any thoughts from those of you that have done this before?

I am not opposed to going with a different seat entirely, but I don't know what fits, looks nice, is cheap (relatively speaking), etc., etc.

The seats in my '79 have seen better days too. I do not like that the seat backs are so low, my head hits the plastic bucket and not the cushion.

Covers and foam for these seats cost you about $800. For that much money you can find C5 seats on Ebay or buy brandnew Corbeau seats. The Corbeau seats are fabric, some prefer fabric over leather as it is not as hot when the sun hits it....

The C5 seats mount a little higher than the stock seats. Headroom might be an issue.

Eventually when I have the other hundred little projects finished I'll most likely buy some used C5 seats and lower the floorpan to make it fit.

The seats in my '79 have seen better days too. I do not like that the seat backs are so low, my head hits the plastic bucket and not the cushion.

Covers and foam for these seats cost you about $800. For that much money you can find C5 seats on Ebay or buy brandnew Corbeau seats. The Corbeau seats are fabric, some prefer fabric over leather as it is not as hot when the sun hits it....

The C5 seats mount a little higher than the stock seats. Headroom might be an issue.

Eventually when I have the other hundred little projects finished I'll most likely buy some used C5 seats and lower the floorpan to make it fit.

I dunno man, that floorpan is not so easy to lower, course mine is plastic, not metal....YMMV.....then I have the metal under there too....

:flash:

On the '79 it's metal.... just a little cutting and welding and the seat is where it needs to be.... :devil:

I rebuilt the seat in my 78 last summer,new hardware,foam,and leather seat covers,purchased everything from Corvette America and did it myself.it was just over $900 bucks for everything :huh: but they look good and are comfortable now.some guys are using seats out of a Pontiac Fiero and buying covers from a place called MR Mikes (think thats the name) still comes out to the same price or a little more depending on how much you pay for the used seats.

I would like to keep the stock seats - I am not really a NCRS guy but it would be nice to have at least something other than the rear window stock..... The seats are too short and will likely split my skull or just break if I get rear ended.... :suicide:

If Theiskell ever checks in,he has the the name of the seat cover guy,he did the Fiero seat thing over the summer,i welded some tabs on the seat tracks so they would bolt up to the original holes,i think that was the only mod needed.

I was looking around the different forums this weekend, and I think I like the fiero seat idea the best. The seats from a junkyard are cheap unlike the c4 or c5 seats which can be expensive even when they are beat up

I have the same problem in my '79. I took a piece of foam pipe insulation, sprayed it to match my interior, opened the split in the foam and slipped it over the hard edge of the seat back. It is unobtrusive and provides enough cushion, plus you don't have to change anything to install/uninstall it.

The Fiero seats look like a nice conversion, I have seen it done on other forums. Some of the Fiero seats come with stereo speakers in the headrest - a definite plus for those of us with loud exhausts.