Throttle cable question

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
I was tidying up loose ends today, one of which was to connect the throttle cable to the carb.

Originally, the car still had the real long 82 Crossfire cable hooked up to the carb. I binned that and bought a standard cable but when I went to hook it to the carb today, using the brackets that were already mounted on the inlet manifold, it ends up at quite an angle

354937beda9ef4a.jpg

354937bedbc6060.jpg

354937bedcc1236.jpg

Any suggestions as to what I've done wrong?

Also, should the transmission cable be under tension as soon as the thottle is moved? As it's set up now, I think I could get away without needing a return spring on the throttle...

The TV cable adjustment is critical, get it wrong and you will end up destroying your transmission. Best is to set it with a pressure gauge. GM also has directions for setting it. Basically you push the tab, push in the little serrated cnter block that the cable comes out of and then go full throttle, the ratchet system will pull the serrated block out and the cable will have a free slack up til almost full throttle.

Your throttle cable issue is because of the bracket you're using. Other than using a different bracket, I see no way to fix that.

Also, what's up with the flex line and the hose end? It looks like you have a -4 line in a -6 hose end? The wire braid should be a tight fit into the b nut, I can see straight past it in your pic.

Thanks TT but I'm not following you with the "tab" and "serrated center block". I'll have a look at it tomorrow so I know what you're talking about.

I don't know what other bracket to use for the throttle cable as that's an Edelbrock bracket to suit an Edelbrock carb. It doesn't catch at all and seems to move freely enough. Dunno what to do there???

As for the braided hose, it's definitely -6 hose into a -6 fitting. The gap you're seeing is the chamfer that allows you to slide the hose into the fitting before you screw the two halves together. Re-useable Aeroquip type...

See that big D shaped tab on the TV cable block that slips into the bracket? If you push it in you can move the center in and out (the long square plastic part where the round little cup of the cable slips over) It's clearly visible in the lower pic you posted.

Here's a different bracket, I think it's a stock GM bracket, maybe even OEM corvette. it came on Xanders car.

2493812e6c8c60.jpg

Saudi,
I'm not sure if this is a route you want to go but, Summit sells a nice cable and bracket that will work on the corvette. I had to make the upper bracket in the picture to clear the 3" drop base air cleaner, but that wasn't bad. Lokar (sp) is who makes the cable and bracket.

IMG_4445.jpg

Wayne I just went through the same thing but no trans to worry about.
I see on your bracket that it is adjustable you can slide the gas linkage holder back to level it out and all will work fine. For the trans listen to them that know.

On second look I take it all back I did not see the line up. (Different bracket like the boss said.)
Or maybe you could flip flop the throttle to the trans side.

Last edited:
First off, use a return spring. Use a pair, as if one breaks, it will still return.
Two, the TV cable should be fully pulled out at full throttle. ANY movement from idle should begin to move the cable.
If, after adjusting for full throttle, you have slack at off idle, the geometry is wrong, and will burn up the tranny.
As for the throttle cable, just bend the bracket ouboard a tad. OR, remount it in line.

Well, that's all done now. I moved the throttle cable bracket to the other side of the main bracket and it's a lot straighter now. I'll post a pic later on.

I opened my mouth before I engaged my brain with the TV cable question - it didn't actually occur to me to read the manual before I posted :withstupid:
Anyway, I pushed the tab in, let the cable withdraw then pulled the throttle to WOT and let the cable ratchet back through. There's no slack in it either, there's tension on the TV cable all the way from WOT to idle.

I had to go and buy a pair of throttle return springs yesterday then fab up a bracket to anchor them to, but it all looks sweet now.

Thanks for the input guys :thumbs: