Analogue injection computer......

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
I just wonder how much actual engineering it would take to design a analogue computer to run a DPFI system.....

seems much simpler than any digital solution......adjust for coolent temp, incoming air, no tables, no nothing to worry over, just a timing thing, for that matter the old dizzy's would work fine, forget the knock sensor....

:bounce::crylol:

too much for what you'd get. You wanna spend the rest of your life screwing around with it to get it right? And it still won't be optimum. Digitial control is superior.

I'm curious. How many years and how many thousands of hours did you put into troubleshooting your fuel injection setup?

That's what i figured. and why i've stayed with the QJ. It'll always run if you got fuel pressure.

I just wonder how much actual engineering it would take to design a analogue computer to run a DPFI system.....

seems much simpler than any digital solution......adjust for coolent temp, incoming air, no tables, no nothing to worry over, just a timing thing, for that matter the old dizzy's would work fine, forget the knock sensor....

:bounce::crylol:

Just put down the bottle and step away from the computer..............:sos:

too much for what you'd get. You wanna spend the rest of your life screwing around with it to get it right? And it still won't be optimum. Digitial control is superior.

I'm curious. How many years and how many thousands of hours did you put into troubleshooting your fuel injection setup?

That's what i figured. and why i've stayed with the QJ. It'll always run if you got fuel pressure.

Being a old ET, I treat it as a HOBBY,....frustrating from time to time, but a hobby just the same.....besides, I get 22.222 mpg at 90 mph cruise....not the BEST, love to do better, but money is tight now and forever.....

electronicus crappicus is cheep though...I was just thinking about a few Radio Shack chips, and the overall concept....

I feel the truth of all this shit is to go analogue with a few op amps, and some Pulse width modulated A-D conversion, into injector drivers, easily done off a cam/crank sensor....and go from there....

that a way the only thing is to dial in the correct air/fuel for any given operating perameters....

something done with a freeking POT on the board....trim that thing lean as we want....

All that would be needed is the analogue computer and a O2 sensor....

:bounce::amazed:

Sounds very similar to the early 80's "electronic" Q-jet.

Even was digital...:amazed:

I know. A Commodore 64 was smarter though.

THAT brings back mammories...my ex father in law used to do programming for AIL on Long Island from his retirement home in North Carolina....on one of them machines....for the B1 project....I forget if it was Carter or Regan in office at the time....

been a while.....

BUT, the thing that got me thinking on this was back in '92 or so, I got a old DPFI setup off a late 70's Caddy Sedan Deville....425 engine....and the analogue computer was done by what was then BENDIX in Newport News Va.....I remember calling the guys there who actually did the work for GM under contract.....for help with putting it on my Pontiac 455 engine in my '70 Lemans tow car.....the company had just been bought by Allied Signal, and shortly after that was turned into Siemens, from Germany.....

that whole system was done with the same sort of chip tech that appeared in the TV industry in the early 70's.....and so hit the GM lines with the Olds 350 gas engine in the Seville.....and was supposed to be in 3 caddy engines...but I have never seen the 500 CI engine in fact, just HEARD about it....only ONE 425 which is the one I had the computer from.....

I still have that modded aluminum dual plane intake with the tbody and injectors on it....

at any rate, as above the Qjet, that caddy system picked up some 4 mpg and that car pulled like a raped ape going over mountains with a boat behind it....some 8000 lbs of crap, total weight....4100 car, 2900 boat, 4 people, + gear and gasoline.....had a 26 gallon tank in that rascal...... flying machine....

the reason I went with the project on that old Poncho was my finding the parts in a junkyard for cheep....and my '87 vette getting great mileage and performance was pretty good too, especially with that aftermarket chip in there....

so if they can do that good with a analogue computer, and make the power and performance increases.....

why bother with digital???

second off, that boat I referred to above.....it had a Volvo engine/I-O on it....with a little single bbl Solex carb....no choke....PIA to start and run...got about 2-3 hours on the water before gas was used up.....

so I put a '89 Grand AM 4 cyl computer on it, used a angle stop from plumbing in the air intake line off a turbo Volvo car....injectors were batch fire....made a x1-x2 input trigger from front crank pulley I drilled a hole in and used some Radio shack infra red LEDs for the pickup to the TTL line 5 volt ref and so it was triggered.....
DOUBLED the fuel economy, got twice the amount of use on the water....
much increase in power, went up about 3 prop sizes....from a 3 bladed aluminum stock prop to a 3 bladed cupped stainless one inch larger.....

damn that boat dug out then....

so that is why I stick with DPFI on this car, and some comparatively minor but irritating idle problem WILL BE CURED, come hell or high water.....

:harhar::trumpet::shocking::devil::gurney::1st:

Late 70's-early 80's a buddy of mine ran a homebuilt analog (no microprocessor) injection system in his IMSA widebody Corvette. An audio pot signal on the throttle body (one of two 4 bbl base plates on top of a tunnel ram manifold, with the injectors mounted in welded bosses on the lower part of the manifold) approximated the airflow changes versus throttle position, and this was fed to a 555 timer IC, along with some buffer circuitry to drive the injectors. He had additional dashboard mounted pots to modify the pulsewidths depending on the airtemp or coolant temp issues that particular race day. The throttle response on that engine was amazing.
It obviously wasn't as flexible as current digital systems, but they will do the job assuming there aren't conflicting issues such as mileage, hp, and emissions, which frequently call for odd steps in the fuel delivery curves.

so that is why I stick with DPFI on this car, and some comparatively minor but irritating idle problem WILL BE CURED, come hell or high water.....

:harhar::trumpet::shocking::devil::gurney::1st:

Next Florida Bird Run. :harhar:

174937f973db92f.jpg

Bullshark

Last edited:
Yeh, them last two photos there above.....

must be related somehow.....Stu's finest pisses enough fuel to flood anywhere....

:beer::beer::beer::yahoo::goodnight:

Hey TT i will take one of those if you are offering for the Christmas Give away :yahoo: already have a hood with a hole in it :1st: