Crossfire - worth having?

saudivette

Clueless In Sandland
Some of you might remember when I was offered a wrecked C4 a year or so ago? Anyway, that fell through with one guy getting the car and another guy getting the engine (and trans, I think).

The guy who got the engine came and saw me yesterday and asked if I wanted the original C4 Crossfire engine. Is it worth grabbing? I thought about even just grabbing the injection system.

I await your collective advice :thumbs:

G'day Mike, long time no speak. Has work kept you off the forums?

My original Crossfire is part of an artificial reef out here and I certainly didn't want this other one so I could replace it, I thought the injection system might be worth keeping.

But, if you say "no", then that's good enough for me. Thanks mate :thumbs:

Hi Wayne,
I have been absolutely buried in work. Mainly trying to finish up some lingering projects. Been too tired to spend much time on the comp.
Parts are getting expensive for the crossfire and you are limtied to how far you can go with it. But on the other hand I still remember when midyear F.I. units were used as door props/ Now they're 5 grand. LOL.
Stay dry,
Mike

Hi Wayne,
I have been absolutely buried in work. Mainly trying to finish up some lingering projects. Been too tired to spend much time on the comp.
Parts are getting expensive for the crossfire and you are limtied to how far you can go with it. But on the other hand I still remember when midyear F.I. units were used as door props/ Now they're 5 grand. LOL.
Stay dry,
Mike

I knew a guy who had some6-8 of the old Rochester mechanical injections in his folks basement.....worth maybe 100 bux each with dizzy.....

:cussing::eek:

Yes, it has forged L82 TRW 464664 pistons, better than the L48 stuff for sure. The rest is a 2 bolt block, cast crank and x rods.

The crossfire has some one year only parts. The 84 magnesium aircleaner if in excellent condition is expensive, as are the 84 magnesium (yes!!) valve covers, they are the same as the 85 & 86 perimeter bolt valve covers.

If you want a nice cruiser the cfi is a very good engine with a nice amount of low end torque and it doesn't sound like a vac cleaner. It has that nice rough rumble to it that a carb engine has because of the wet flow/fuel distribution. Not the clean vacuum cleaner idle that a TPI has.

Here's what I got for the parts I sold last year;
Air cleaner -$175
Tb's- $75
Manifold - $125
Long block - $150

Still have the valve covers and some other misc parts to put on ebay when I get them cleaned up.

Heck if the guy is going to give you the motor take it and sale the parts off it,looks like there might be a demand for the injection system and other parts unique to the cross fire motor.