TKO shifter modification

DeeVeeEight

Fast Pedalphile
I am planning to install a TKO II 5 speed in the near future. I will need to offset the shifter location 2 1/2" left and 2 1/2" back. Does anyone know of an offset shifter for the TKO II or of an offset bracket ("Z" bar) that will relocate the shifter? I would make a bracket but do not have access to the necessary facilities.
Here's the shifter I have.
vette_041a.jpg

Hurst Sidewinder

I am planning to install a TKO II 5 speed in the near future. I will need to offset the shifter location 2 1/2" left and 2 1/2" back. Does anyone know of an offset shifter for the TKO II or of an offset bracket ("Z" bar) that will relocate the shifter? I would make a bracket but do not have access to the necessary facilities.
vette_041a.jpg

If you look on the Classic Chevy web site, for a 79 they show the shifter in question.

Installed-Shifter-Assembly.jpg

Last edited:
I just put in a TKO 600, not sure if the shifter location is diffrerent than your version. I put in a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and found I only needed to make a 1.5" spacer block between handle and shifter. Since the Tri-ax handle slopes back there was no need to move the shifter location toward the rear of the car. I did this on a 78 and had to slightly modify the underside of the console since the spacer block was rubbing a little, but no visible change from stock.

vette_041a.jpg

If you look on the Classic Chevy web site, for a 79 they show the shifter in question.

Installed-Shifter-Assembly.jpg

the tko 2 has a different shifter then the tko 500 and 600 so that will not work.