diff carrier bushings

69smallblock

What is the secret to getting the differantal carrier bushing off the frame can anyone let me know the trick please they are a pita
Thanks
69small block (george)

That sucker is on there but good.

The way I did mine was to put a jack under the diff and secure the diff to the jack with a tie down., loosen the diff carrier bolts about 1/4 inch and then use a gear puller to separate the carrier from the frame....one side at a time.

That sucker is heavy too. I had help from 2 of my sons, so it made the job easier.

I've seen people post that use a pry bar to separate the carrier from the frame, but I didn't want to risk the diff crashing to the ground.

I got differantal and carrier off but the bushings are still on the frame stuck but good is right

The differential carrier has a cushion on both sides. They are pressed into the hole on the carrier and the tabs bent over. Is this what you are referring to? Here is what the cushions look like.

41721.jpg

33832.jpg

When the carrier is installed, those cushions go onto the bulb on the frame.

I have the carrier off but bushing are still on frame yes those are the bushings i have bolt is out of bushing just wont come off of bulb

I'm guessing that you know by now that you take off the crossmember mount without taking the cushions out. The weight of the carrier and the diff with a little elbow grease gets the crossmember mount off of the bulb.

If you have the bolt out, the only thing keeping it on the bulb is pressure/age. You might try soaking them with penetrating spray along the top. Prehaps put a chisel on the edge of the cushion and whack it with a hammer.

Or, you can use a gear puller/3 jaw puller. Put the bolt back in about 1/4 inch and use the puller to get the cushion off.

Anyone else have other suggestions?

BTW, you will need to buy new cushions.

I remember first time on my car, I stuck about 1.5 inches of plywood/sheetrock under the thing, and sprayed with carb cleaner/solvent to loosed the glue/rubber, while prying eventually I won....

when putting it back, I lubed the rubber, and the bulbs with black RTV....

been in and outta there a couple time since then....no sweat....

:gurney::drink:

been soaking them with areo havent tried puller yet ill try one of those next I have new bushings already doing trailing arms too so I thought while I got things apart might as well thanks for suggestions let you know how progress

The bushings come off with the carrier. The easiest way to do it is to loosen the bolts and then thread them out a little, get a 2 jaw pulelr and center it over the bolt, put the jaws around the crossmember and start turning. it'll come apart with a big bang..

However, since you already have the crossmember off those bushings can be on there very tight. Might want to try a 3 jaw puller and secure the jaws with a large band clamp.

Did you grind the folding flaps off the bushing? Normally they are tight in the crossmember.

Make sure you know how much these things cost before you damage them ($160-$180 plus shipping)

I assume you want to re-use them, otherwise you wouldn't ask how to remove them or spend the time with the penetrating oil....

Soak a little longer and try the puller.

As others have already said, these usually come off with the carrier. I assume there's quiet some rust of the frame's "bulb"

Make sure you know how much these things cost before you damage them ($160-$180 plus shipping)

I assume you want to re-use them, otherwise you wouldn't ask how to remove them or spend the time with the penetrating oil....

Soak a little longer and try the puller.

As others have already said, these usually come off with the carrier. I assume there's quiet some rust of the frame's "bulb"

Guys, do you think he can reuse the cushions after the tabs have been bent back up? Structurally ok?

God only knows who installed these and how.....they usyally come off with the crossmember/carrier....

If you think you cannot re-use these then go ahead and take a small torch to them or slice them with a cutting wheel....

got new ones already I believe they are the origanal ones i guess there just stuck got lucky one this one very little rust on frame of car so far I really appreciate all the input guys

I tried for 3 hours while the diff was on the car no luck so i did bend tabs back to get diiff and carrier off so i could get to bushing so far i have been soaking them and and hitting with air chisel hoping to get loose dont have puller going to go to auto zone to see what they have for puller

I tried for 3 hours while the diff was on the car no luck so i did bend tabs back to get diiff and carrier off so i could get to bushing so far i have been soaking them and and hitting with air chisel hoping to get loose dont have puller going to go to auto zone to see what they have for puller

Get the 3 jaw gear puller.....10 minutes per side and your done. Zone might have them on loaner program.

diff bushings

finally got the pita things off ended up splitting with sawzall carefully i mught add then hit with air chesel came right off had to chisel rubber off to see what and how deep i could go before i got into bulb
thanks for all the suggestions guy and moral support too
69small block

Last edited:
John Hinckley has warned that using a puller in that application may result in the cups being torn from the frame. You don't want that, no access to repair.. The suggested procedure is a pry bar.
Frank.