Gps

SmokinBBC

Anyone have one of those TomTom 125's? Looks like they are going for $100. Normally $180. Are they any good?

Stick with Garmin products,they have been around for a long time,there products can be updated they regularly have CD's to upgrade your GPS. And that is what i used in college (minored in GIS) and use now so thats the only product i know. I have used several different kinds and own several and have no complaints with them.

As far as Tom Tom i know nothing about them. :quote:

Kevin, I was doing some homework today....now I'm looking at the Garmin 255W...wallyworld $237

Widescreen, speak to text(street names) instead of your "turn left in 100 yards".

So many options:crap:

I have one in my truck, it's a Lowrance and was factory installed by Peterbilt in the dash.
I'm all over the states and up to now never missed a street. The thing talks in a bunch of language if I want to (yes dutch too) and pretty accurate.
I dont think you need a ton of options. The talkin thing gets on my nerve a bit so I shut it down. it will tell me to get out at the next exit about 5 times before I get to it.
I can download bunch of pics and tunes.
I like it a lot because I always know where I am no matter if I'm in New York or San Diego.
Screen is about 5 by 7 and it's big enough.

thum_18049308e30d719c.jpg

Last edited:
Lowrance units are nice i have 2 of them on my Bass boat with GPS. The thing i like about Garmin is that they are easier to up date and cheaper. Garmin does not have one that will wire into the trolling motor for contour following or the high detailed lake maps with contours.

And that Lowrance unit in your truck is a pretty expensive unit it will do more than give directions. for an automobile and general traveling the Garmin Nuve is an excellent unit.
3 things you want in a unit a large screen,color back ground and easy to up grade. cheaper to put new maps in the unit than buy a new one.

TomTom's are big in Europe for years and they are used a lot with laptops and smartphones.

They only recently migrated here.

The great thing about any of them is,they all work off the same 12 satellites. actually there is 24 up there but only 12 are on line the others are backup's in case one goes down or comes crashing down on our heads :goodnight:

How accurate is the speed display on these things?

As long as you have a clear site to the sky above your head,they are deadly accurate in MPH and distance.:thumbs:

Cool...I might finally figure out how far my speedo is off without having to flag down the guy next to me:banghead:

Yea i put mine in my vette last summer to check the speed/o and they both jived.
now my truck shows a 4mph difference at 70 but i have bigger tires than factory on it.

I'm on my 5th Garmin, got my first in 1998 or so.

Got Garmin in my boat too.

Well, my son made the choice. Tomtom one xls. It turned into his birthday present...yea, I'm a sucker when it comes to my kids.

It is a really slick unit and it gets a signal in the house....wonder if I'll get to use it............

First thing he wanted to do is download the "Mr. T" voice.

I am a cheap bastard...I use my Sprint Insight phone. It has gps...so one less gadget to buy. It is pretty good, gives traffic alerts automatically and voice prompts as you go. I was impressed on the resolution. I was using it downtown (walking) and it was updating distance to destination every 3 feet!

I am a cheap bastard...I use my Sprint Insight phone. It has gps...so one less gadget to buy. It is pretty good, gives traffic alerts automatically and voice prompts as you go. I was impressed on the resolution. I was using it downtown (walking) and it was updating distance to destination every 3 feet!

I tried using the one in my Sprint phone once,and i could not see the screen while i was driving,maybe im going blind :eek: but it does work quite well untill you hit one of those dead spots,i knew this had happened when i was driving on a side walk and everybody was telling me i was NUMBER 1.

:tomato::lol::lol::lol:

I've got a Tommy 700. No longer in production. I don't travel any distance without it. Also have a Cheetah GPS C100 red light camera and stoplight camera detector. It doubles as my speedometer since the one in my truck crapped out. Speedometers in the GPS are dead-on accurate. Not like the factory auto speedometers. So if you are doing 65MPH on a GPS speedo, that is your EXACT speed.

I've got a Tommy 700. No longer in production. I don't travel any distance without it. Also have a Cheetah GPS C100 red light camera and stoplight camera detector. It doubles as my speedometer since the one in my truck crapped out. Speedometers in the GPS are dead-on accurate. Not like the factory auto speedometers. So if you are doing 65MPH on a GPS speedo, that is your EXACT speed.

You do LOVE that name Cheetah.:pprrtt:

You do LOVE that name Cheetah.:pprrtt:

I have noticed that too,what is this Cheetah Dep is always speaking of :search:

We had a garmin when we were in the US. Biggest POS nav system EVER!! It was either incorrect, inaccurate or just plain too fricken late when it came to telling when to take an exit. I used it for 2 days and then turne off the driving directions and manually sought out where to go, using it as an electronic map basically.

TomTom is a Dutch brand and it's vastly superior to the POS we had from garmin...geez I can't believe what a POS that was...did I tell you guys it was a POS??