700-R4 Lock up wiring

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
So what is the best/easiest way to hook up the electric lock up on a radical cam/low idle vacuum engine? The B&M kit with speedo transducer? I think the vacuum switch deal is out of range.

So what is the best/easiest way to hook up the electric lock up on a radical cam/low idle vacuum engine? The B&M kit with speedo transducer? I think the vacuum switch deal is out of range.

The typical tranny has a least a 4th and locked switch in the end of the 4 gear control valve....so that grounds the lo side of the valve, the high side is interconnected with a normally closed set of contacts, so when the coil is energized by the brake light switch....it pulls the contacts open and unlocks the solenoid.....no matter what gear it's in....

computer cars lock via the computer, but it's speed regulated, and can lock in any gear long as the speed is attained....

course the computer decides to lock under whatever conditions the program says to....but the tranny locks anyway....two possible grounds in parallel off the lo side....

Mine (from Bowtie) locks as soon as it shifts into 4th. I have the relay that unlocks it when the brake pedal is depressed or it unlocks itself upon downshifting. Works great!

IF the ground end of the coil, to the 4th gear lock switch in the tranny OR the computer control is grounded solid, like I can do with a console switch.....the thing locks solid in 2-3-4 gears.....but it's not possible to lock in first, must be a hydraulic thing internal to the brain/oil flow.....

so on the upshifts, it's hard as hell, but I wonder if that's such a good idea, really....

:goodnight:

Gene, you may be right on that one. Mine shifts fairly hard, but I thought it was just the nature of the trans. I have the stage 2 which is supposed to be good for steady 450-500 HP. According to Bowtie it is only supposed to lock up in fourth?

Gene, you may be right on that one. Mine shifts fairly hard, but I thought it was just the nature of the trans. I have the stage 2 which is supposed to be good for steady 450-500 HP. According to Bowtie it is only supposed to lock up in fourth?

I dunno what shift kit they used in it.....IMO there is nothing better than a TGo kit, but nothing preventing from them rolling their own....so I dunno what to expect....

the soft parts like clutches are mainly stock off the shelf by Alto or some other maker I forgot.....that all affect the firmness of the shift....as long as when you hold the lever in say 2nd, and see a rpm drift in the engine, without much speed variation in the car....same for any gear...that is converter slipping, if it was locked, it behaves like a stick shift....total abject control....

also that goes with how it was wired....it CAN have a 2/3 lockup switch as well as 4th that is internal to the tranny....

which makes me ask the question about why in hell anyone would be concerned with a engine vacuum modulator/switch being added into the install from aftermarket....long as it locks up in 4th gear....

now MY computer will lock it up in 3rd really quickly on a freeway ramp....
but that's at ~50 mph or so...

:bump: