Q jet part

DARROW 74

Has any one ever tried to make a plastic hold down ring or insert. this part holds the primary power piston in place.
this part helps seal the vacuum so the piston pulls down.
In most carbs that I have taken apart this part is in poor condition. And it is not on the market.
I hope that I have explained this ok. ( The pistion controls the primary rods.)

Did I post in the right area???????

Damnit man, just damnit....I wanna learn summfin NEW, not recall summfin OLDE....

I went out to the garage and pulled a Qjet kit, and looked at a old primary power enrich piston...seems that fiber washer was on there 'permanently' as I don't recall ever popping on off the brass past the metering rod hanger.....

so I dunno.....sorry....

learn fuel injection, it's the future....thought all the carbs were in the recycle bin by now....only us olde phardts recall a bit about them.....

:amazed::bump::surrender:

Damnit man, just damnit....I wanna learn summfin NEW, not recall summfin OLDE....

I went out to the garage and pulled a Qjet kit, and looked at a old primary power enrich piston...seems that fiber washer was on there 'permanently' as I don't recall ever popping on off the brass past the metering rod hanger.....

so I dunno.....sorry....

learn fuel injection, it's the future....thought all the carbs were in the recycle bin by now....only us olde phardts recall a bit about them.....

Some thing new put the hanger in a vice then tap the brass shaft with a punch being careful not to damage it, It will come apart and can be pressed back in.
Send me any parts you don,t need I will be glad to pay shipping...

If you are really into it that much, you can buy all kinds of phenolic stock, find a cnc lathe and get some quotes on having some made. A lot cheaper if you supply the print.

I just clean them up well and stake them in if need be. You can test them working, when the engine is running.

so I dunno.....sorry....

Some thing new put the hanger in a vice then tap the brass shaft with a punch being careful not to damage it, It will come apart and can be pressed back in.
Send me any parts you don,t need I will be glad to pay shipping...

:bounce: I"m just ragging butt, in fact I have a old Q hanging on the wall there for some 11.5 years ....which is why I have that old kit around....

must have scrapped out a ton of parts when I moved from up north...one of the guy got about 6-10 old Q's from me....my joint looked like a GM junkyard...used to have one just down the road a piece....specialized in just GM cars.....amazing the shit I used to pick there.....:fishing:

Q Jet Rebuild.

download

Well this is a pic of the seal I made for the piston will finish the carb over the weekend and let you know how well it works.

Well the part is in the carb that I am playing with. To late for any pictures and I tried to edit it but I could not figure that part out. I was trying to use the e mail photo next time I will use the saved photos. I will be making more of these along with the spacer for the blower fan as soon as I know it works ok.

Yea I also looked around a lot and I don't think this part is on the market but If it works ok I know where we can get some.. stand by for more info.

The phenolic piston retainer is not a vacuum seal - it is only a retainer to hold the piston in place until the airhorn is installed. The piston itself seals against the piston bore and allows a slight vacuum leak which does not affect carb performance.

Instead of the phenolic retainer, you can fabricate a thin sheet metal split sleeve to go around the power piston tower casting. At the top of the sleeve, make two little tabs that can be folded over the tower to retain the piston. This works just fine, and is very easy to do.

Lars