240/246 cam on 112
.602/602 lift using 1.6 RRs
42LB Bosch injectors pushing 50 PSI Fuel pressure using a high volume pump
Long tubes with 3 inch exhaust
OEM Ignition
700R4
3000 stall
3.07 rear

Question: On this fairly modest NA setup, any reason why I can't get the speed density tuned to work? Just wondering. I'm not saying it would be EASY, just wondering if it would work....

I am working with a well known, experienced tuner.

Last edited:
Is it running at all?..I got mine running tonight in speed density. Pull a v/e map from the stock files. There is one very close to your engines needs.

OOPS...never mind. You are trying to use a stock ECM. You will need an editing program, prom burner and lots of time. Also, the stock ECM will only drive high-impedance injectors...you probably have/will need low impedance units at your fuel flow rates.

Last edited:
It's running pretty good, I have to get the new trans to finish it.

It's close, trying to get it perfect after the new trans goes in.

There is where the shit hits the fan......

I am totally convinced there is almost nothing a aftermarket computer CAN do that a stock computer Can't....

having said that, many, some, most? stock computers take more computer talent that I have to redo them into something smooth....
same with most aftermarket types also...

:twitch::eek:

THE thing that got me into that Megasquirt deal was the supposed ability to self program.....

damned if I know....

:twitch::eek::bomb:

I am totally convinced there is almost nothing a aftermarket computer CAN do that a stock computer Can't....

having said that, many, some, most? stock computers take more computer talent that I have to redo them into something smooth....

THE thing that got me into that Megasquirt deal was the supposed ability to self program.....

damned if I know....

I agree with you Gene. Particularly on a NA motor.

damned if I know....

Well, to a point, 15 years+ ago doing a TPI on my '72 L48 it was easy, the cam was mild, engine basically stock, idled smooth at 650 rpm.....

so the reprogramming chip/cal pack cost me 250 bux....

now a daze i'ts 150 bux....all you need is tell the guy the exact specs of the engine...i'ts all in the can...

CAM specs is most important, then heads, exhause, induction, etc...even fuel pressures.....
then MAF or MAP/speed density.....t-body blade diameter....

today, stock systems like my 'antiquated' mid 80's design are not all that hard or expensive to program.....

Alvin Anderson, or Jerry Formatto do them.....I also had Jim Smith do one over the years....

:trumpet:

SO for someone to say a 2 grand PLUS DPFI system is worth X amount over a stock system, better be a balls out racer, otherwise I fail to see the point of spending that amount of cubic bux....

NOW, having said that.....going in on it again....maybe 2 grand for a total turnkey operation is not too bad....but not a nickel over....

:devil:

damned if I know....

Well, to a point, 15 years+ ago doing a TPI on my '72 L48 it was easy, the cam was mild, engine basically stock, idled smooth at 650 rpm.....

now a daze i'ts 150 bux....all you need is tell the guy the exact specs of the engine...i'ts all in the can...

CAM specs is most important, then heads, exhause, induction, etc...even fuel pressures.....

today, stock systems like my 'antiquated' mid 80's design are not all that hard or expensive to program.....

Alvin Anderson, or Jerry Formatto do them.....I also had Jim Smith do one over the years....

SO for someone to say a 2 grand PLUS DPFI system is worth X amount over a stock system, better be a balls out racer, otherwise I fail to see the point of spending that amount of cubic bux....

NOW, having said that.....going in on it again....maybe 2 grand for a total turnkey operation is not too bad....but not a nickel over....

Well, I tend to agree with you on all counts, except that it's all in a can, especially with a stroked motor and big cam

I working with Greg Carroll of Carroll Supercharger, he knows what he's doing, it's not a mail order thing or in a can, not in my case anyway.

damned if I know....

Well, I tend to agree with you on all counts, except that it's all in a can, especially with a stroked motor and big cam

I working with Greg Carroll of Carroll Supercharger, he knows what he's doing, it's not a mail order thing or in a can, not in my case anyway.

Kinda surprised for today if it's not...really only been some 15 years now...when I say in the can, I mean like a movie, already been done, and canned for ship, like to a olde tyme movie house....

YMMV of course.....but the guys seem to work with you...so all is not lost, and the chips/computer are not all THAT dumb, they do have some learning capability .....not up to the latest and greatest, but pretty decent....

I just need to take my fuel rails off and check the injectors for fuel dispirsion I think there is a problem there....

figgers that today the vette ran fine, smooth as a baby's ass....

2 daze ago it ran like CRAP.....really pisses me off no end.....

:bomb: