Killer headlights

Federal007

Hi Guys,

Quick question on the electric "Killer" headlights for those who have them. My new car just arrived from the US of A and one of the lights is placing up. Both were working then one just won't come up. Winds down OK, and the lights themselves operate, but something isn't right. I have done the upgrade to the brass cogs that the provious owner kindly put in, but no help.

Any guidance would be appreciated as there aren't many of these in Australia.

Cheers and beers.

Those motors work one of two ways that I have seen, one is through the jamb or resistance to rotation against the stop, forces the worm/screw of the motor shaft to one end or the other along the axis of the motor shaft....call it forwards or backwards....there are two switches on there....one breaks the circuit forward, the other backwards.....so if that is the operational action, there is your problem,

the second is with a electronic circuit board/module, that is sensing the current through the motor, and breaks the power to the motor when the motor current reaches X amps, what ever it's set at, I dunno....something like 4-5 amps....there should be a relay or two on that board, so I'm told, or if not a transisitor to be triggered off/on via the sense....there maybe a series resistor on that board, or in the motor itself.....

course the obvious most simple thing is a loose wire, bad plug/connector.....

I used to have a '87 vette, and between that and my '88 Fiero formula, I can't recall which was which.....too long ago....then are are some F body cars in there too,

:hi::D

The Firebird module that is used in that conversion is a square, black box about 4 inches square, should have "Guide" molded into it. Should have two connectors on it with one set of wires to the headlight motors.

If that module is the problem, post here and I'm sure someone can hook you up.

That's for all the advise guys. Finally found the problem, when re-installing, I manually slightly raised the lights about 1/8 inch, THEN fitted the drive arm to the motor. By doing this, it held the pressure off the motor when the bump stop comes down. Mind you, took me 3 days of replacing cogs, pulling motors apart, spraying oil everywhere and losing count of how many times I pulled the bloody thing out to figure it out, but it works (touch wood).

As a side note, I let Chris McSpeed know and he had never heard of this fix, so put it into the memory banks.

thanks again :drink: