Tick tick tick, can you name that noise?

enkeivette

Listen to the noise in the video. My engine has had a tick ever since I put the new HGs on, and I've been sanding the car and doing body work ever since. So since I haven't been driving it I haven't been too concerned.

But recently it's been getting a lot louder. It's so loud now that I'm afraid to drive the car. I can't find any evidence of exhaust leaks, I bought an automotive stethoscope, can't find anything with it... it's really frustrating. Could this be a bad or a stuck or a loose lifter? The lifters are the comp cams retro roller lifters with the link bars FYI.

I've heard some bad exhaust leaks on this car before. And this is just too loud to be another exhuast leak IMO.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0U8icJwakg[/ame]

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me.

Ditto, 2 of us, take the probe off the tube and use the end of the tube, I replaced mine with a longer plastic tube out of Loews Depot....have more on it.... that way you can put it hear each part of the header flange and listen directly.....I bet it's #7 or #2 I dunno why but they always seem to leak first for me....

:shocking:

Well that's promising. I'll look harder. Maybe it's a rust hole in one of my headers or something strange like that.

So what does a bad lifter sound like then? I've always wondered. Any videos?

When the engine/headers are cold spray some shaving foam around the header flanges and start the engine for 2-3 seconds.... you'll see if there's a leak...

:D

This sounds like an exhaust leak. Try pulling the plug wires one at a time and see if it goes away (this would make a rod bearing go away too but the sound of a bearing is a much deeper thumb and this sounds like it's coming from the exhaust, the sound does not come from "inside" the block, the pitch is too high for that), then you'll know what cylinder the problem is related to.

You guys must be right, I tightened up the header bolts and the tick became much less obnoxious. It's the cylinder on the drivers side, closest to the firewall. Don't remember the number.

That one always gives me problems. I've been through 4 header gaskets in about 15K miles. My header must pull away from the head at that port. It's a shame too, this last time I spent $50 or $60 on some nice steel core header gaskets. The old ones would always blow out and separate, so I figured that a steel core would solve the problem. Guess not.

Good to hear it's "only" a leak. Did you try the copper gaskets ? They seem to work for me, 3 years, no leaks.

use Percys aluminium gaskets and cut the flange between the #5 & 7 cylinder. This will allow a potentially warped flange to seal better.

use Percys aluminium gaskets and cut the flange between the #5 & 7 cylinder. This will allow a potentially warped flange to seal better.

This is the best thing to do with headers to prevent leaks. I do this to about any set of headers I put on unless the flange is really thick and straight. Do what Twin_Turbo suggested and you will not have to mess with it agin.

I've tried the copper, couldn't find a set with a matching flange. The ones that I tried ticked like crazy.

TT, do you mean to cut the header flange or the gasket flange? Now that I think about it, cutting the header flange isn't a bad idea.

Last edited:
I've tried the copper, couldn't find a set with a matching flange. The ones that I tried ticked like crazy.

TT, do you mean to cut the header flange or the gasket flange? Now that I think about it, cutting the header flange isn't a bad idea.

Cut the flat flange between the tubes. Here is a pick of the pass side on my car that had been cut. You will see it is cut just above the water sending unit.
DSC03743.jpg