Mrs. Goodwrench

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Don't trust girls with tools:

HOUSTON – Flight controllers were revamping plans Wednesday for the remaining spacewalks planned during space shuttle Endeavour's visit to the international space station, after a crucial tool bag floated out to space during a repair trip.

The briefcase-sized tool bag drifted away from astronaut Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper on Tuesday as she cleaned and lubed a gummed-up joint on a wing of solar panels on the space station. She and fellow astronaut Stephen Bowen were midway through the first of four spacewalks planned for the mission. The tool bag was one of the largest items ever lost by a spacewalker.

As Stefanyshyn-Piper cleaned up a large gob of grease that seeped from a gun used to lubricate the joint, the tool case somehow became untethered from a larger bag and floated away along with a pair of grease guns, wipes and a putty knife attached to it.

"What it boils down to is all it takes is one small mistake for a tether not to be hooked up quite correctly or to slip off, and that's what happened here," said lead spacewalk officer John Ray.

Stefanyshyn-Piper and Bowen finished the spacewalk in almost seven hours by sharing tools from Bowen's bag. Ray noted that Stefanyshyn-Piper showed "real character and great discipline" by continuing on. She was the first woman to be assigned as lead spacewalker for a shuttle flight.

"Despite my little hiccup, or major hiccup, I think we did a good job out there," Stefanyshyn-Piper said after returning to the space station.

Don't trust girls with tools:

HOUSTON – Flight controllers were revamping plans Wednesday for the remaining spacewalks planned during space shuttle Endeavour's visit to the international space station, after a crucial tool bag floated out to space during a repair trip.

The briefcase-sized tool bag drifted away from astronaut Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper on Tuesday as she ..............

WTH happened? Did NASA use up so damn much shuttle payload capacity with her freakin' name tag that they had to cheap out on the tether line/cable for those, I assume, damn expensive tools that went floating away? Simply amazing.......

The briefcase-sized tool bag drifted away from astronaut Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper on Tuesday as she ..............

WTH happened? Did NASA use up so damn much shuttle payload capacity with her freakin' name tag that they had to cheap out on the tether line/cable for those, I assume, damn expensive tools that went floating away? Simply amazing.......

Your right, that has to be the biggest name tag ever!:eek:

Seen the vid, she got grease all over herself, tried to clean it up woman style where a guy would have let it sit and continue on and you could see the bag float away with her doing nothing but continue to wipe grease off herself

You guys have seen the fine print that says when you're working on something and drop a tool or bolt, it will naturally go to the most inaccessible point?

same thing, just a larger inaccessible place.

I wonder how much that tool bag cost us?