spread bore carb to square bore manifold

bahamasair

I ordered the ss-830 Quick Fuel carb after checking with jegs that it was a square bore but now that I have it its a spread bore. Should I try find an adapter or should I just return the carb? I dont even see any adaptors to go from spread carb to square manifold. I see them to go the other way but thats it. Its a fucking pita for me to return this since I'm in the Bahamas and we can only overnight fedex from here and its not cheap.
Thanks for any help.

Mine looks to be very close to square. What would the measurements be for a square bore?
Ok it looks like I have a dominator intake. Now I need an adapter that isnt 2" high

Last edited:
Thought a square bore was all 4 holes damn close to the same size, with later Carter AVS having slightly larger secondaries......

but a Qjet has very much larger secondaries, which was why it was known as spread bore...the difference is very obvious....

Holley I don't know jack about, and have always considered them fire hazards...

:clobbered:

I found an adapter that is designed to mount a 4500 dominator to a square bore manifold but I should be able to modify it to work the other way round its only 1/2" thick. All the other adapters I found were expensive and 2" tall. I will have a problem getting any kind of hood over this motor as it is I cant afford another 2".

Yeh, kinda thought so, them adaptors maybe work ok, but a huge problem on most cars, and I can't even imagine on a vette, without a hole in the hood....

:crap:

I know it sucks, but I would send back that carb and get the square bore. Call em up and tell them that you were given the wrong info and ask them to pay the freight. At least they should pay it on the exchange unit.

I know it sucks, but I would send back that carb and get the square bore. Call em up and tell them that you were given the wrong info and ask them to pay the freight. At least they should pay it on the exchange unit.
They didn't give me the wrong info. I wasn't aware there was any other types than spread or square. They sent me a square bore but my intake has the 4500 Dominator pattern on it. I measured it and it was square so I assumed it was a square bore :blush:
SmokeyVette what happened to your wipers?