So Cal Wild Fires

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
For those of you curious, the Corona fire started about 1 1/2 miles west of CaScotty, and is now about 1 mile north of Doug Mariani, Scott is out of danger, but Doug is still somewhat in harm's way.

Been following it on-line. Just unbelievable. I couldnt' find how this one started. Was it a lightning strike?

Been following it on-line. Just unbelievable. I couldnt' find how this one started. Was it a lightning strike?

Dunno. No lightning though. Sylmar fire is suspicious origin. The Santa Ana winds always bring out the firebugs and greenies. Downed power lines are always a threat.

I know of the N Ca. S. Ca water wars, and the long standing rift, and so I hear lots of it is due to excessive watering of areas that are better off left as desert as like just south into Mexico, I see bare desert brown, looking into America all I see is green.....I used to think it's a sign of super progress years ago, now what with these fires every year for decades now, I not so damn sure....

I think the eco weenies and the flower children are just making pretty, then when nature takes over....well...disaster strikes.....

I still can't figger out how in hell people build houses that are not fireproof in those areas either......the scenes of gorgeous homes going up in flames over nothing, as if NO planning was ever done for that eventuality....

yet every once in a blue moon some home 'miraculously' survives.....

methinks people bring it on themselves.....

so, what is the truth???

:bonkers:

These fires occur in Coastal Chaparral environment, where sage brush, white sage, black sage, and scrub oak and the like have a natural burn cycle. Wherever there is no devlopement, and brush areas exist, it's gonna happen. Most any So Cal fire you see is not the desert, but these Chaparral areas.
Gene, it's just as natural as a forrest fire in wooded areas.

Hows come I didn't see jack diddly growing in Mexico then, but in America just across the bridge it was all this greenery that don't belong, obviously....

I only know from Sagebrush/Chaparral growth from a trip to El Paso returning through Carlsbad into Ft. Worth almost 20 years ago....

the striking change there makes me think too much watering....

Can't beleive the whole damn state naturally catches on fire like that....I can beleive some fire nutz setting crap off, just as I can see a 12 ga often enough ending that shit for good.....:hunter:

Can't beleive the whole damn state naturally catches on fire like that....I can beleive some fire nutz setting crap off

Yes Gene, it's a natural cycle. The indians told the first settlers here about the "smoke filled coastal area" long before smog came here.
I studied botany in college, and specialized in this environment. Many of these species will not germinate without fire. It's just natures way.

View from my home.(Actually, 1 block east for clarity)

This is looking due north, about 4-5 miles away. Zero wind(ground level), about 74* already. 8 AM, Sunday morning. It would be about Brea and Yorba Linda. Maybe further north towards Diamond Bar.
349204908a5d98.jpg
34920490930abc.jpg

Now it's blowing about 30-40 MPH, and shifting towards my house. No danger, but there went $30 at the car wash down the tubes.:lol:It's okay, I always have the truck detailed before a trip. Makes it much nicer to drive a long way.:cool:

why do all these people build houses in the middle of a tinderbox? or on mudslide hills, yada yada yada.

Why do we hear so many sob stories coming out of cali?

why do all these people build houses in the middle of a tinderbox? or on mudslide hills, yada yada yada.

I dunno Jim. Not my cup of tea either. I suppose it's the view. People still move here for the weather, and the land is a finite supply.:crap:

MY only comment is I got 30' of freeboard and am 45miles inland off the Atlantic O......for FLORIDA, it maybe get breezy but it's a masonry house....

but building on the shore......uh....NO.....but I gotta admit, the gulf shore is the spot.....Panama beach, area.....We love Ceday Key, which is just west of Jacksonville on the shore there....it's quite hilly really, so not much for flooding, some of them houses are definate survivors, as they quite old....so maybe not so awful evil....but the shorline homes show evidence of poundings past.....

and you just can't BEAT the sunsets over the Gulf....every color in the Lowes Depot display.....

:smash::smash:

& stars at night. Millions of stars.

i used to live in Loveland and the night sky viewing was good, but i've never seen anything in my life like a moonless night on Cape Cod.

Used to camp on Martha's Vinyard, years ago.....yup....

DAMN that friggin yankee well water was COLD.....

weener shrunk up smaller than my pinky finger....

:smash::crap: