Dual O2 sensor?

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
Any advice on mounting dual O2 sensors? And maybe some opinions concerning the advantage of 2 over 1?

Any advice on mounting dual O2 sensors? And maybe some opinions concerning the advantage of 2 over 1?

What is the application? Monitoring?
OBDII uses sensors before and after the cat to monitor effeciency.
As for location, I would contact Richard Waitas at Magnaflow, as he deals with this all the time. [email protected]

The application would be aftermarket EFI where you may have true dual exhaust. With that setup, you would monitor air/fuel in one bank only.

One bank "should" run with the same parameters (or within a few percentage points) as the other, correct?

All of this assumes that you have a fully functioning engine, no dead injectiors etc.

Last edited:
The application would be aftermarket EFI where you may have true dual exhaust. With that setup, you would monitor air/fuel in one bank only.

One bank "should" run with the same parameters (or within a few percentage points) as the other, correct?

Yes, it should, the only variable would be wiring failure or clogged injectors,

thing that's hard is with a single O2 in any pipe or both pipes you still can't tell which injector may be off, no way for the computer to know that...

Yes, it should, the only variable would be wiring failure or clogged injectors,

thing that's hard is with a single O2 in any pipe or both pipes you still can't tell which injector may be off, no way for the computer to know that...

Unless you are monitoring EGT's....

OK, to clarify, my question assumes that you don't have bad wiring, injectors, etc.

So, in a true dual system where you are monitoring one bank of cylinders, the other (no sensor) bank "should" run with the same parameters (or within a few percentage points) as the other, correct?

OK, to clarify, my question assumes that you don't have bad wiring, injectors, etc.

So, in a true dual system where you are monitoring one bank of cylinders, the other (no sensor) bank "should" run with the same parameters (or within a few percentage points) as the other, correct?

All things being equal...correct. Now the nice thing about sequential fire v. batch fire is that you can fine tune the mixture for individual cylinders. (But I have to learn how to keep the O2 sensor from trying to correct for the correction)....More reading is needed...

Last edited:

All things being equal...correct. Now the nice thing about sequential fire v. batch fire is that you can fine tune the mixture for individual cylinders. (But I have to learn how to keep the O2 sensor from trying to correct for the correction)....More reading is needed...

G, I agree:thumbs: But I am not understanding your comment wrt "correct the correction"
tuning the individual cylinders applies a coefficient multiplier per cylinder that essentially offsets each injector PW from the base. The O2 sensor corrects the average of all cylinders maintaining that relationship. An over all correction vs individual. Is this what you are talking about?

BTW, I was thinking I would incorporate a single, cheaper narrow band O2 once I am convinced I have the tune optimized. Those wide band sensors aren't cheap and I am not sure of their life expectancy.

Bullshark

G, I agree:thumbs: But I am not understanding your comment wrt "correct the correction"
tuning the individual cylinders applies a coefficient multiplier per cylinder that essentially offsets each injector PW from the base. The O2 sensor corrects the average of all cylinders maintaining that relationship. An over all correction vs individual. Is this what you are talking about?

BTW, I was thinking I would incorporate a single, cheaper narrow band O2 once I am convinced I have the tune optimized. Those wide band sensors aren't cheap and I am not sure of their life expectancy.

Bullshark

My correction comment was in reference to making sure the ECM remembers the off-set. Like I said I have more reading to do.

I would imagine with a two injector TBI, dual sensors would be ideal to control each bank. With port injection, it would probably "hunt" if they ran each bank.(Unless a computer could average the two).

I am wondering about the lifespan of the wideband sensors too and they are expensive. I have the 3rd one in a little over a year and very little run time. Does anyone know how much a narrow band will correct? 1 point? Will they even work in a FAST system?